General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Everyday Life.
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

astrojohn

moving to the bay area

I just graduated from school w/ my CS degree 2 months ago and finally got offered a job. I've lived in Massachusetts my whole life and the job is in Santa Clara...I'm gonna be going out soon to check out the area, I have no idea what anything is like out there, I've only been to SoCal once - never anywhere near the bay area. What's a good place to look for an apartment? I'd rather not have roommates because I'm really sick of the shit I had to deal w/ in college....so I'm just gonna be on my own. Should I look directly in Santa Clara? If it's cheaper in the surrounding areas, is there anything keeps away from the bulk of the traffic?

I'm really psyched for this, so far the only negative thing people have mentioned is the cost of living. The job pays pretty well, so I'm not really concerned, and I'm from just outside boston so I'm used to expensive living and horrible driving....

Any other words of the wise for someone packing up and moving across the country alone?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

VicMackey

First of all, grats on your job. There is nothing like getting your first career gig.

Anyway, your best bet is to come out a few days early and really look around. Santa Clara has a very suburban feel. It does have one pretty nice mall (Santana Row) and one university (Santa Clara U.). Other than that, it's just a typical suburban city with lots of tech business parks and a few semi sketchy areas. It's also fairly small so you can live next door in San Jose, Sunnyvale, Mountain View, etc. and still be close to work.

There is a lot that goes into where you should live. What's important to you? Being close to work? Cost of housing? Safety? Night life? Being near a beach so you can surf?

You probably should either spend some time up front to get a feel for the different areas or just sign a short lease (say six months) somewhere close to work and then explore the bay area at your leisure and move when the lease comes up. Good luck.

Comatose51

I moved to Mountain View in March for my job in Palo Alto.

I love it here. If you're a cyclist, you're in heaven.

Look on Craigslist. It's your best bet for the Bay Area. Don't expect to easily find a place. In fact, call every listing you find to make sure they're still available. Housing supply is so low here that I had to live in a hotel for a few days when I first moved here. I ended up taking whatever was free, which turned out to be OK.

As for driving across the country, I drove here from Dallas by myself but I've done two cross country road trips before. If this is your first time, bring a friend. Avoid driving in the mountains in California at night if you've never done something like that. It can be quite dangerous since not all the highways here have lights. In fact, the ones in the mountains won't have lights for sure.

The cost of living here is high but the culture here is also a lot less materialistic. People here are more about doing stuff than owning stuff. For me, my rent is actually cheaper than when I first moved to Dallas because I lived in one of the best parts of Dallas.

Rule of thumb, the further south you go away from Palo Alto, the cheaper it is but it also gets a bit worse. Stay the hell away from East Palo Alto and Oakland. I'm dead serious about that. It's like the Bay Area concentrated all their evil in that area so the rest of the area can be nice and safe. Stay on the west side of the 101. Otherwise you'll end up on the "wrong side of 101" as some people like to say here. Commuting generally speaking isn't too bad. Public transportation here is pretty good. Sunnyvale, Mountain View, Santa Clara, and San Jose will be cheap to live in. Mountain View is very nice in my opinion but probably the most expensive of the group.

Last edited by Comatose51; 07-13-2007 at 09:45 PM..

GottaLoveDirt

Congrats!

I used to live up in the YAY AREA (Bay Area, but I guess they call it the YAY area now...ghetto talk?).

Anyways, Santa Clara is a nice area. Enjoy it!

astrojohn

wow, it's awesome to hear so many great things....now I'm really excited. Fortunately the company is going to pay to move all my stuff from the east coast to my new home and they said they'll hook me up with a rental car and hotel/corporate apartment til I find a place. I have 3 months of training here on the east coast before I move out there, so it's certainly a lot of time for me to hunt something down and secure it - I'd really like to have the apartment already picked out before get out there.

Any cool places to check out while I fly out there and scope out the area?

Comatose51

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrojohn View Post
wow, it's awesome to hear so many great things....now I'm really excited. Fortunately the company is going to pay to move all my stuff from the east coast to my new home and they said they'll hook me up with a rental car and hotel/corporate apartment til I find a place. I have 3 months of training here on the east coast before I move out there, so it's certainly a lot of time for me to hunt something down and secure it - I'd really like to have the apartment already picked out before get out there.

Any cool places to check out while I fly out there and scope out the area?

If you're a total nerd, visit the Computer History museum in Mountain View. NASA Acmes is also in Mtn. View but not sure if you can get in. Stanford is in Palo Alto. Of course you can always take the CalTrain up to San Francisco. Other than that, not sure what else you can do. This is a great place to live but not much of a tourist attraction except for SF. Plus most tourist stuff don't get me excited so I'm probably the worst person to ask.