General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > Bone Closet
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Gen

How long does an Ulna take to completely heal?

I broke my arm a few months ago. The Ulna was split in two at an "/" angle. I thought it was just bruised for about two weeks so for those two weeks I was doing alot of physical activity because I am a recruit for the Marine Corps. Well woke up one morning and my arm was so swollen I said fuck it and went to the doctor and got x-rays.
They said it was bleeding out of the bone thats why I was so swollen, heh. Anyway so that delayed my shipdate. Fastforward and my cast is taken off and the doc gives me the big OK. But since that date I have had very minor pains, more like aches and I have a pretty noticeable lump where the break is.
Right where the break is is a lump of bone I thgouth that was kind of weird. Anyway its been about a month and a half now since the cast has been off. So, now we are about 4-5 months passed from when the actual breakage took place.
Today I went to lean on a wall and went to hold myself up by my forearm, so alot of my weight was resting on my Ulna bone. Needless to say, I'm posting here because I felt alot of pain. I'm going to the doc tomorrow to see wtf is going on but shouldn't this have been healed by now?
Did the doctors fuck up by not re-breaking it, I'm not a doctor but I would think because of the two weeks before I got checked out, maybe the bone started to heal in the wrong position and now won't fully heal?
The doctor seemed like he didn't really care, kinda just looked at the x-rays and said I can go so maybe he missed something I don't know.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

king_pariah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen View Post
I broke my arm a few months ago. The Ulna was split in two at an "/" angle. I thought it was just bruised for about two weeks so for those two weeks I was doing alot of physical activity because I am a recruit for the Marine Corps. Well woke up one morning and my arm was so swollen I said fuck it and went to the doctor and got x-rays.
They said it was bleeding out of the bone thats why I was so swollen, heh. Anyway so that delayed my shipdate. Fastforward and my cast is taken off and the doc gives me the big OK. But since that date I have had very minor pains, more like aches and I have a pretty noticeable lump where the break is.
Right where the break is is a lump of bone I thgouth that was kind of weird. Anyway its been about a month and a half now since the cast has been off. So, now we are about 4-5 months passed from when the actual breakage took place.
Today I went to lean on a wall and went to hold myself up by my forearm, so alot of my weight was resting on my Ulna bone. Needless to say, I'm posting here because I felt alot of pain. I'm going to the doc tomorrow to see wtf is going on but shouldn't this have been healed by now?
Did the doctors fuck up by not re-breaking it, I'm not a doctor but I would think because of the two weeks before I got checked out, maybe the bone started to heal in the wrong position and now won't fully heal?
The doctor seemed like he didn't really care, kinda just looked at the x-rays and said I can go so maybe he missed something I don't know.

Sorry man, I don't know, but bump for you. I would go into the doctors office and bitch his ass out.

Update?

Gen

did a walk in today but they could not see me. so i have an apt on the 5th.

Splash

It could be quite a few things:
The doc could have fucked up by not re-breaking it
There may be scar tissue
There could be calcium deposits that are in places they shouldn't be causing pain
It could be the weather- that is actually a legit reason for pain in injury sites...has to do with humidity (both a lot or not enough)
The skin could have scarred down to the bone
There's a SLIGHT possablity of nerve damage but I doubt it

There's a ton of different things associated with pain after an injury has fully healed, but these are some of the most common. Because of the bump, I'm saying it's probably either scar tissue or calcium deposits. Bumps are pretty normal: think of it like this. When you were a kid and you were gluing something together, you'd use a lot of glue and it would kinda mushroom, right? Sometimes the body does the same thing.

Talk to the doc, but don't go in with guns blazing saying "YOU FUCKED UP!" He probably didn't.

Gen

Just got back from the doc. after a long rant about the us going to war and how I should use my arm to get out of the Marines, she helped me.

She gave me a precription for 600mg motrin and told me to make an apt for x-rays. She says she thinks it could just be inflammation but to get the x-ray to have all bases covered.
So I will most likely get an x-ray next week or so and take the pills and see if they help.

Funny thing is I found an old bottle of 800mg motrin in my closet with my name on them

Zyzzyva100

The bump is normal, its called a callous and is how your bone heals naturally. It will go away over time. The pain is probably normal too, because you are lucky that you didn't end up with a non-union after waiting 2 weeks to get the break set. Odds are the callous is larger as a result of this. The pain is probably normal too because the outside covering of the bone (the periosteum) is highly innervated and when you break it and then it gets inflamed its going to hurt.

The doctor would have seen a non-union on the x-ray, so unless hes just straight up lying to you (which hes not unless he enjoys being sued), then the break has healed. As for what some other people have said it could be, stop talking out of your ass. The skin could not have scarred down to the bone, it wasn't a compound fracture, and plus there are a shitload of muscles, tendons and ligaments in your forearm that would prevent scarring that deep.

It is, however, possible that you tore the origin or insertion of a muscle (not likely completely, but even a small tear would lead to pain). Nerve damage is possible, but do you have sensory loss in your wrist or hand? If the weakness is a result of pain then its a whole different story that weakness as a result of nerve damage. (Nerve impingment as a result of inflamation or scar tissue would be more likely) However all of these things depend on where exactly you broke the bone. Was it near to the wrist or the elbow? There are easy tests a doctor can do to check for nerve damage, but again unless he likes being sued if he says everything is alright I would bet you are just having a slow recovery because the bone wasn't set fast enough,

Splash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyzzyva100 View Post
The skin could not have scarred down to the bone, it wasn't a compound fracture, and plus there are a shitload of muscles, tendons and ligaments in your forearm that would prevent scarring that deep.

I'm not talking out of my ass. The idea of skin scarring down to the bone depends entirely on the fracture site. Was it up at his elbow? Then probably not. But if it was down by the styloid process, then there's a SLIGHT possability. The OP asked for some possabilities and I gave him some. Neither of us have seen the fracture nor how its healed, nor been able to preform tests, so with the information we have, the only thing we can do is guess.

Dick

Hey man, i broke my distal radius, (bone beside the ulna, but at the joint) on the 13'th of Aug. I had to have surgery on it and received a 2" t-plate, 5 pins and 3 bone screws. I've been told its the worst kind of wrist fracture.

It will take a crap load of time to heal, me, up to a year. I do not have any pain however. I received 50 t-3's which lasted at least 3 weeks, so im surprised that you are still having pain as i have none and haven't since early sept.

The bump is natural as someone already stated and will go away, you do have to be patient man, cause a bone isn't completely healed until at least a year after.