General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Automotive [M]ayhem
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

ihsviks

Need Help! Parking/Emergency Brake stuck

Hey everyone. This is my first topic. Been a lurker for a long time.
Car is a 04 Saturn Ion 5spd m/t.
Anyway, my emergency/parking brake is broken. The brake is still engaged, but I can move the handle up and down still.
Now my question is, do I have to take the center console apart to fix this or is there a workaround?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Rancidpunk666

disc or drum parking brake in rear?

if drum/drum inside disc yank on cable from underneith car

if that doesn't work cut cable and repace

if disc with parking brake in caliper, take large screw driver and hammer and tap back to unlock position
.......v
Grandpa Motors (GM) pussrods and leafsprings

stapuff
the marshmallow man

sounds like something is really screwed. I'm not quite sure how parking brakes are generally designed, but it seems like they would not be engaged if the cable broke (i.e. pulling on the handle applies pressure to the brakes) versus becoming engaged when the cable breaks (i.e. pulling on the handle allows springs to make pads/shoes contact the disc/drum). So if they are stuck, either its designed using the latter method, or something else is screwed. I would bet on the former possibility being the problem and something stuck in the parking brake system keeping the brakes engaged. Jack up the car, set it on jackstands, remove the rear wheels, inspect the brakes, and see if something is obvious. If youre not good with cars, get someone to look at it. Good luck

GtEunuch

Were you trying to "drift". If so you could've yanked on the e-brake so hard, that it could've bent something, thus causing it to stay engaged.

ihsviks

Quote:
Originally Posted by GtEunuch View Post
Were you trying to "drift". If so you could've yanked on the e-brake so hard, that it could've bent something, thus causing it to stay engaged.

Hahaha. Dorifto

I parked the car in my apartment parking lot on Thursday night of last week and come Friday morning the car wouldn't budge.
When I released the brake Fri. morning there was an audible pop. Dunno if that'll help at all.

GtEunuch

LOL just throwing it out there...

I would take the wheel off and see if there is anything that is wierd with the brakes, as per stapuff's advice. Or just take it to a shop.

RazorWind

Can you post a photo of the rear brakes? There are several different designs for parking brakes, and as I recall, GM uses one of the more complex one (basically a miniature drum brake inside the disc - I know the C5 is like this).

I had a Toyota MR2 that did this because the handbrake cables were old and had gotten some water and dirt in them, so they'd stick. There was a little lever that the cable pulled on the brake caliper to set the parking brake. If you released the lever inside the car, and then got out and pulled on the level on the caliper hard enough, it would release. Solution after like three years of putting up with this was to replace the parking brake cables for about $100 total.

ihsviks

Quote:
Originally Posted by GtEunuch View Post
LOL just throwing it out there...

I would take the wheel off and see if there is anything that is wierd with the brakes, as per stapuff's advice. Or just take it to a shop.
Wish I could take it to a shop. It can't be driven. Won't even move a centimeter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazorWind View Post
Can you post a photo of the rear brakes? There are several different designs for parking brakes, and as I recall, GM uses one of the more complex one (basically a miniature drum brake inside the disc - I know the C5 is like this).

I had a Toyota MR2 that did this because the handbrake cables were old and had gotten some water and dirt in them, so they'd stick. There was a little lever that the cable pulled on the brake caliper to set the parking brake. If you released the lever inside the car, and then got out and pulled on the level on the caliper hard enough, it would release. Solution after like three years of putting up with this was to replace the parking brake cables for about $100 total.

I'll take pics tomorrow when it's light out and hopefully not raining.

jarhed13
I own faces - <3 Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihsviks View Post
Wish I could take it to a shop. It can't be driven. Won't even move a centimeter.

Holy crap. That is one strong parking brake! Most cars I've been in are drivable with it set, not very fast, but drivable

AtomicFire

heh, if I pull the parking brake on mine and try to drive, i chirp the front tires and start dragging the rears

kieranc

the shoes are probably just stuck to the inside of the drum, happens all the time... just rock the car forwards and backwards slightly (just try to set off and as it starts to pull, drop the clutch and it'll roll back) and it'll soon free off.

Toxic | Vapor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazorWind View Post

drum rear, not disc. its a very simple design for the rear drums, but sometimes can be a pain in the ass if you dont have the right tools. personally, ive never encountered a problem like this at work. does the handle still stay up when you pull it up? and in this system, if the cable snapped (very unlikely) the parking brake would not set. id say the shoes are stuck, something got inside and jammed it up, or (more likely) the handle wont release the cable. if you want to look at the handle assembly, you can remove two screws in the back of the console, then try and remove the armrest. the piece directly under the handle on the console should come up with the armrest.

ihsviks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic | Vapor View Post
drum rear, not disc. its a very simple design for the rear drums, but sometimes can be a pain in the ass if you dont have the right tools. personally, ive never encountered a problem like this at work. does the handle still stay up when you pull it up? and in this system, if the cable snapped (very unlikely) the parking brake would not set. id say the shoes are stuck, something got inside and jammed it up, or (more likely) the handle wont release the cable. if you want to look at the handle assembly, you can remove two screws in the back of the console, then try and remove the armrest. the piece directly under the handle on the console should come up with the armrest.

The handle does stay up when it is pulled up.
I'm going to try and release it the way kieranc described tomorrow after I study. If that won't work, it's time to take off the tires and get dirty.

ihsviks

Tried to release the brakes by popping the clutch today. I think they're stuck shut. Gonna try and tap with a hammer to release them. If that doesn't work, I don't know what to do.

RoundEye

This is all just a guess since I don’t know dick about Saturn’s.

A lot of e-brakes work on a ratchet-pawl setup. You push the button on the e-brake handle in, the pawl opens up and lets the springs in the drums, or another mechanism pull the brakes pads open. (brake pads released)

All in just guessing, even though the handle is going up and down, the mechanism that releases the pawl from the e-brake mechanism isn’t working when you push the e-brake handle button in.

Before I started cutting cables and banging on things with a hammer, I would disassemble the center console enough to see what is going on the with the e-brake mechanism, like broken parts, the pawl not releasing from the ratchet and such.

If you could find me a diagram of the e-brake mechanism for you car somewhere online, I may be able to help some more instead on shooting off in the dark about the matter.

Last edited by RoundEye; 10-20-2007 at 06:40 PM..