General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Everyday Life.
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

ceejamon
Ignore this post

Ceejamon's Sun-dried Tomato Dip

Hey guys, sorry it's been a while since I've posted any recipes. I've been saving them. You see, a buddy and I are working a cooking blog. We had hoped to launch December 1st, but his job transferred him to North Carolina on very short notice. The site's launch is thus postponed for a while until he gets settled in. It's going to be an awesome collaboration with both simple and advanced recipes, foodie commentary, and a large "cooking 101" section with guides covering all things culinary (including video tutorials). I'll still be involved in this community of course, and I plan on continuing to provide content that's exclusive to [M]. We'll also welcome guest submissions from members here, so you chefs out there PM me if you'd be interested.

Anyways, since that's all on hold for now, I thought I'd post a few quickies for you guys in the next week or so. So here's a really quick crowd-pleaser: my Sun-dried Tomato Dip

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Most dips like this are full of mayo and sour cream, which arenít exactly the healthiest things to put in your body. This one uses plain nonfat yogurt instead. It's hella easy to whip up in no time, so I make it just about every time I entertain. It always disappears quickly. Hereís what youíll need:

8 oz jar sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil, drained and chopped
8 oz neufatchel cheese (or cream cheese), room temperature
1 cup nonfat plain yogurt (or low-fat)
2 teaspoons hot pepper sauce (Tabasco, Louisiana Red, etc)
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
1 tablespoon dried oregano
4 scallions, green part, sliced

Itís really simple, especially if you can find the jars of sun-dried tomatoes that come already julienne sliced. Start by plugging in your trusty food processor. If you have one of the smaller versions you may need to cut the recipe in half and do it in 2 batches.

Add in all the ingredients except the scallions, and press the magic button. Let it run until itís pureed and fluffy looking. Then, toss in the scallions and pulse a few times to incorporate them. Move half of the dip to a bowl to serve, and hide the other half in the back of your fridge for future munching.

Itís great on pita or crackers. Triscuit, Vinta, and Carrís Cracked Pepper Water Crackers are our favorites. Also, it makes a damn good spread on a sandwich or wrap.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

kudos
I am a homofag with no friends and Halo owns my soul

Could you use Red Hot?

ceejamon
Ignore this post

You can use whatever you like, of course. I've never had Red Hot, so you may need to adjust the amount you use to suit your tastes.

Nano

Nice!

Im gonna try this soon. Thanks ceej. I need to get my own cooking recipes off the ground :\

SKYY

Wow...looks tasty. My favorite dip happens to be shit. Here's the ingredients:

2 boxes of fat-free cream cheese (you seriously DO get used to the taste)
1 tbsp garlic powder
1 tbsp onion powder
2 tsp dried cilantro
2 tsp powdered cayenne pepper

Tastes ok, fat-free, yadda yadda. Good with triscuits, at least.

Sargonnas

Just made this.. though I used dry packed tomatoes rather than oil packed.. $2 difference, and Im cheap. Added some olive oil to em, let em sit for a bit to get em a little wet. I also used cream cheese instead of neufatchel and regular yogurt instead of fat free (I likes me my fat!). Came out pretty good.. not a bad dip at all. Granted, its not quite my style.. born and raised in Texas.. I prefer regular tomatoes, cilantro, cumin, onions, bellpepper, etc.

Have it sitting in front of me, eating it on town house crackers.. loving it.

odecom5
I have to dress my dick up like celery so my lesbian butch of a gf will suck it.

thanks ceej. please keep me updated on your food blog. i'd also like to submit a few recipes and make all of yours
STRAIGHT UP 39TH STREET NIGGAH ALWAYS BALLIN ALWAYS HUSTLIN' 394L NEVER FRONTIN NEVER HATIN #37

How fast does a zebra have to go before it looks gray?

Unknown

i apologize in advance for the possibly stupid question but, can i use a blender in place of a food processor? what is the difference?

looking forward to trying out another one of your recipes

thanks

ceejamon
Ignore this post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sargonnas View Post
Granted, its not quite my style.. born and raised in Texas.. I prefer regular tomatoes, cilantro, cumin, onions, bellpepper, etc.

Please post your recipe in the forum! I'm a big fan of handmade salsa. I'll have to post my recipe soon, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown View Post
i apologize in advance for the possibly stupid question but, can i use a blender in place of a food processor? what is the difference?

Blenders and food processors perform the same basic function, but each is more suited to a certain kind of work. In short, blenders are designed to handle liquids and food processors are for solids. Your blender has small high-speed angled blades at the bottom on a sloping cylinder. It "sucks" down the stuff inside, kicks the crap out of it, and cycles it back up in a tornado-like fashion.

This works great for liquids, crushing ice, pureeing soups, etc. But thick stuff doesn't circulate down to the blade, so you have a pureed bottom with untouched solids on top. Food processors are designed for solids. It has a shorter & wider bottom and much larger blades. This allows for handling things like cream cheese. Chopping nuts for baklava. Making dips, vinaigrettes, and marinades. It's incredibly versatile.

If you have a really good blender, you could make this dip by blending, scraping and stirring, and blending over and over. It would eventually get to the right consistency and circulate. However, if I were to try and make this dip without a food processor, I'd probably just chop everything fine by hand and mix it in a bowl with something like a potato masher. In either case I can't vouch for how it'd turn out.

Sargonnas

Ive tried many times to make a homemade salsa that I would make again.. well, I take that back.. I made one, but Ive forgotten recipe. No, wait.. that was pico de gallo... still dont remember recipe.

I used one of those.. submersion blenders or whatever theyre called.. stuck it all in a tall glass and shoved that down into it.. worked perfectly.