General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > Bone Closet
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

MachinegunHead

All my teeth hurting, facial swelling the cause?

A week ago I had a septo/rhinoplasty operation, and as a result, the centre of my face has been quite swollen and bruised. Since maybe the 2nd day of recovery my teeth have been slightly aching, and have hurt every time I bite into something. Is this possibly the cause of facial swelling making my mouth tight, and hence putting increased stress on my teeth? Or is did they just somehow manage to mess up my teeth?

If it is most likely due to facial swelling, what is the likelihood of residual pain once the swelling has receded?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

huxley
Don't respond to me, I can't read your posts :(

If you read your title a certain way it seems like you are asking if a facial caused swelling lmao, sorry I have no advice.

topcat989

Quote:
Originally Posted by MachinegunHead View Post
A week ago I had a septo/rhinoplasty operation, and as a result, the centre of my face has been quite swollen and bruised. Since maybe the 2nd day of recovery my teeth have been slightly aching, and have hurt every time I bite into something. Is this possibly the cause of facial swelling making my mouth tight, and hence putting increased stress on my teeth? Or is did they just somehow manage to mess up my teeth?

If it is most likely due to facial swelling, what is the likelihood of residual pain once the swelling has receded?

umm, ask your doctor (plastic surgeon) if this is normal?

if it's not it might be an infection?

how could you possibly expect an answer that you could trust here? Call your doctor's office

huxley
Don't respond to me, I can't read your posts :(

on a side note, how did it go? i have kinda a pointy nose I dont think I would ever do anything to it but I am definately curious what the options are.

Sf_J
Has a tidy sheath!

One of my friends just had rhinoplasty last weekend and she's also experiencing dull but persistant tooth pain, she inquired about it to her doctor and he explained that it's likely caused by the pressure that was placed there during the actual surgery (he braced his hands on her mouth area while doing a lot of the chipping away of the bone and cartilage).

MachinegunHead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarfree_Jazz View Post
One of my friends just had rhinoplasty last weekend and she's also experiencing dull but persistant tooth pain, she inquired about it to her doctor and he explained that it's likely caused by the pressure that was placed there during the actual surgery (he braced his hands on her mouth area while doing a lot of the chipping away of the bone and cartilage).

Ah okay, thats eased my mind a bit. I'm seeing my surgeon in a months time so that he can make sure it has healed correctly, so if it is still persistent, I will ask him then, I guess. Still, I'm glad to hear someone else has experienced a similar pain in the teeth after a rhinoplasty operation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by huxley View Post
on a side note, how did it go? i have kinda a pointy nose I dont think I would ever do anything to it but I am definately curious what the options are.

Well, I had the operation because as a kid I got my nose hit very often. Recently I went to the doctors to have it checked, as I was having some slight breathing troubles, and it turns out that I had fractured my nose at least twice when I was young, causing it to grow asymmetrically. Only recently had I started to feel the effects, with my right septum deviating just enough to make breathing a chore. So I had the both septum fixed up, and also had the aesthetics improved, which involved removal of a large bump, overall realignment and a refinement of the tip.

Although I wasn't too convinced when they first removed the splint (after a week), I am now starting to realize just what a great job they had done. The bump is completely gone, and my nose is pretty much perfectly straight. Although, as for the tip (the part you are interested in) I can't say how I feel just yet. I quite liked the tip of my nose before hand, and when I saw it after the splint removal, I was quite disappointed. Turns out that it was pretty swollen, and still is. I still don't like how it looks right now, but it is a lot better than it was a few days ago. The tip still feels very fragile, and tight, and my upper-lip is still a bit stiff from the general swelling in the region. So I'm confident that the tip will swell down a little and I'll look like myself again.

So result-wise, the jury is still out on the tip, but the rest of the nose is great. As for pain during the operation. There isn't too much of it, although there is a hell of a lot of discomfort for the first few days. There is also the experience of them removing about 5 inches of packing from your nostrils, which is literally, one of the most perverse, uncomfortable things a man can experience. When they pulled mine out, it felt like they were pulling my eyes out from behind, through my nostrils. Not fun, but I guess I can cross it off the list. There were also a few stitches on that bit of between the two nostrils, which will most likely leave a really small scar, but no-one would notice it unless you pointed it out.

If you don't mind your nose too much, then don't bother getting rhinoplasty. I mean, I didn't really mind my old nose at all, it was interesting, but the fact that it had started giving me troubles, and would give more in the future, was enough for me to say, "fuck this shit, where's my doctor". I guess if it impacts your self-esteem substantially then you should also consider it, because it IS right in the middle of your face.

Mr. Marbles

Lumpy Jaw disease aka Actinomycosis. It often goes unrecognized but is treated as the cause of something else. Infection can occur as the result of recent dental work oral surgery etc. Culprit = Actinomyces israelii normally refered to as an anaerobic bacteria but is really a cross between bacteria and fungi.

Sarcasmo
This is my Haiku

Seriously, don't ask an internet forum about medical issues like this. Someone might have a small bit of insight, but in the end you really, really need to be asking your doctor. Give 'em a call. I hope it's normal.

armorshell

Which teeth specifically are you feeling pain in? As a side note, was your surgeon a Plastics/Recontructive, ENT or Oral/Maxillofacial?

Last edited by armorshell; 12-26-2007 at 04:44 PM..

armorshell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcasmo View Post
Seriously, don't ask an internet forum about medical issues like this. Someone might have a small bit of insight, but in the end you really, really need to be asking your doctor. Give 'em a call. I hope it's normal.

Also, QFT

MachinegunHead

Quote:
Originally Posted by armorshell View Post
Which teeth specifically are you feeling pain in? As a side note, was your surgeon a Plastics/Recontructive, ENT or Oral/Maxillofacial?

No, he wasn't.

As a conclusion to this thread, I figure I might as well give a final report on the happenings. Turns out it was caused by excess swelling in the roof of my mouth and upper lip. The pain has now gone and my teeth are feeling fine. Only took a couple of days for it to calm down.