General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Everyday Life.
Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

SoulkeepHL

Do clothes steamers really work?

I hate ironing. A lot. There is very little i would not take over ironing. However the only place I've seen clothes steamers pushed are either on the interweb, or infomercials, and I'm permanently skeptical of informercials. So do they work? Are they (a lot) quicker than ironing? If so, which ones work well? I wear a steady stream of button up shirts and slacks and would really love to get the wrinkles from the washing machine and dryer out without spending so long on ironing.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

miasman1
I'm a pathetic virgin.

The Jiffy steamer used in retail works surprisingly well. I dunno about the infomercial ones.

techie34290

My parents actually has a steamer, and in my opinion, they work to an extent. For example, if I use a steamer on my suits, they look nice and wrinkle free because they don't have a ton of wrinkles in them to begin with. I just need to "clean" them out.

For dress and T shirts, they work fine, meaning if you wanted to wear a T-shirt casually outside, they'll do the trick. But if you want a crisp dress shirt with creases clearly visible, you will have to iron and iron hard. Steamers lack crispness.

Since I'm so anal about perfect ironing, it takes about the same time for me to use both, but steamers are definitely easier to use. All you have to do is hang the shirt and let the steamer do the work.

kristopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by techie34290 View Post
For dress and T shirts, they work fine, meaning if you wanted to wear a T-shirt casually outside, they'll do the trick. But if you want a crisp dress shirt with creases clearly visible, you will have to iron and iron hard. Steamers lack crispness.

I agree with this. I bought a steamer thinking it would match an iron, but it didn't get my uniforms crisp at all. It did however get all the wrinkles out if I didn't have time to iron in the morning.

cipher

I'll stick to my iron.

Sinosec

Yeah fuck ironing. I hate it too. Forget the portable steamers that look like a mini-iron, and get the kind with the water tank on the floor and steam hose running up a pole/hanger cause they should put out plenty of steam. Make sure it's enough that you almost burn yourself if you wave your hand over the end.

I use some nameless thing I got at a garage sale (the name was sort of printed on the front but it's almost all rubbed off.) It's fine for getting wrinkles out of regular clothes fast, but you do need to iron if you need something solid or crisp looking.

Barstool

Unless you wear a suit, who the hell irons any more?

red|dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barstool View Post
Unless you wear a suit, who the hell irons any more?

Anyone who wears a button up shirt. I'll sometimes iron pants and even polo shirts if they have a little wrinkle in them that I can't get out.

Wrinkles = slob.

SoulkeepHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by red|dragon View Post
Anyone who wears a button up shirt. I'll sometimes iron pants and even polo shirts if they have a little wrinkle in them that I can't get out.

Wrinkles = slob.

Indeed, there are dress shirts in my closet at home that haven't been worn in weeks because I haven't been motivated to iron them. Thank god I have a handful of wrinkle free shirts that tend to get worn a lot.