General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Everyday Life.
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Slacker

Best gas credit card for cross country move?

I'm graduating from college in May and my wife and I are moving to Albuquerque, NM from Eastern Washington., about 1300 miles

I was planning on putting the whole move on my credit card and earning my normal 1% cash back. However I was looking at some other rewards cards that offer 5% cash back on gas and convenience store purchases, specifically the Citi Dividend Platinum Select MasterCard.

So far the only catch seems to be they'll only send you a check for $50 or more which means buying $1,000 worth of gas. However with our rental truck getting 6-10mpg (probably more like 6 towing our car through the Rockies) I figure we'll spend almost a thousand on gas, plus the cash back from the rental and food and motels along the way.

So anyone else done this? Got a rewards card for something big, paid it off then cancelled it afterwards?

I got the idea from this article: http://finance.yahoo.com/banking-bud...-Reap-Benefits

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

sleepyness

I think the most I've seen are the Shell cards that give 5% back at their stations.

prometheum

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyness View Post
I think the most I've seen are the Shell cards that give 5% back at their stations.

thats probably just for the first 6 months or so

SoulkeepHL

Never looked into the fine print, but Discover has a gas card that gets you 5% on gas and their reward system generally allows you to redeem in $20 increments. Think it get's 1% back on most everything else. The normal discover card has 5% back on rolling categories throughout the year (currently it's home improvement and department stores, july-sept. it becomes gas and hotels).

Stereodude

Costco Amex is 3% back on gas unless you get the small business card (which is 5%). Only exceptions are Meijer gas stations and Sam's Club gas stations.

DHermit
www.TShirtReview.com

My amex blue is 5% on gas after you spend $6500 on it (usually around May this happens for me).

illig

There's a Citi cc that gives you 5% on all purchases for the first 60 or 90 days and 1% thereafter. Sounds like a good card to get for such a move.

I saw the deal on bensbargains.

Slacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by illig View Post
There's a Citi cc that gives you 5% on all purchases for the first 60 or 90 days and 1% thereafter. Sounds like a good card to get for such a move.

I saw the deal on bensbargains.

Yeah pretty sure that's the one I got. the 5% rate is only for 90 days but we'll be moving in about 6 weeks so I should be able to get up to $50 on it during the move. Then pay it off in full and probably cancel it.

Xayd

the discover one is permanent 5% on gas, i have it. the fine print basically says anything auto related gets the 5%, from convenience stores, parts stores, car washes, dealerships, etc.

euphoricismization

bp has a card that gives 10% for the first 60 days and 5% thereafter on purchases at their stations. i've been roadtripping a lot during the last two months and the extra cash is nice. it also gives various percentages for other expenses but i use it strictly as a gas card.

Master_Shake

Don't get a card tied to a certain brand of gas. I tried that on a trip from chicago to NM and found out that it gets more and more difficult to find a particular brand even tho it was BP.

zoopnazi
no zoop for you

get a cardlock card

they will give you a discount on gas directly.

California Pizza Chicken

Dongboy
I am Kruzens Brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoopnazi View Post
get a cardlock card

they will give you a discount on gas directly.

have to be a business and frequently they don't offer that great of rates unless you are doing massive volume, my old man has a business and running 3 trucks near constantly that get atrocious fuel mileage he was paying 2-3 cents more then the advertised gas price right next to hte card lock

euphoricismization

I recently made trips from memphis to orlando and back and from memphis to panama city and back and had no problems using bp stations only. it might be harder going through the midwest, but my traveling didn't change or be effected in any way really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master_Shake View Post
Don't get a card tied to a certain brand of gas. I tried that on a trip from chicago to NM and found out that it gets more and more difficult to find a particular brand even tho it was BP.

tmoney1876

I have seen no BP stations in TX. That's the problem with a card tied to a certain brand.