General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Everyday Life.
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

ceejamon
Ignore this post

Ceejamon's Zucchini Rolls

Tonight I'm going to my brother-in-law's house for dinner, and he asked me to bring a veggie of some sort. His apartment kitchen is a little small to try to both cook in, so I decided to do something that could be made ahead of time. These zucchini rolls are awesome for dinner parties since they're served cold and can be made hours in advance.

The recipe isn't mine - I got it from a friend who got the idea from an Ellie Krieger episode. I don't normally post recipes that aren't original, but it's a hella tasty and useful addition to any recipe box so I'm making an exception.

You'll need:
4 medium zucchinis
8 oz chevre or other soft goat cheese, room temperature (can substitute cream cheese)
1 handful of fresh basil
1 handful of baby spinach
Kosher salt & black pepper
Dried dill
Lemon juice (optional)
Toothpicks

This recipe is MUCH easier if you have a mandolin, but it's not required. I'm doing it with a knife this time just for demonstration purposes. Cut the ends off your zucchini and slice them long ways into 1/4 inch slices. I find it easier to control if you use the tip of your knife.

Don't worry if you mess up a few slices - I did. Cut the first and last piece a little thick, and then use a peeler on the rounded side to get them like the middle slices (or just discard them if you don't mind being a little wasteful)

Place slices on a cookie sheet and put into oven under a broiler for about 3 minutes. Flip and broil for another 3 minutes. You can grill them if you prefer, the grill marks are pretty neat looking, but this is easier if you ask me.

When they're done, remove from the pan and let cool to room temperature. It doesn't take long.

Meanwhile, place your goat cheese in a bowl. You can use cream cheese for this if you're not into goat cheese, but in case you haven't noticed I love it. Whichever you choose, hit it with a few dashes of the dill, a pinch of salt, and several grinds of black pepper. Whip it around with a fork. If it's too thick to spread easily (or if you just feel like it) a little bit of lemon juice is a nice addition in this.

Now it's time to assemble. Spread some cheese on a slice of cooled zucchini.

Top with a leaf or two each of basil and baby spinach. If the leaves are big, tear them.

Roll them up, stick a toothpick all the way through them, and chill until you're ready to serve.

Easy and delicious. As I said, these kinds of recipes are great for entertaining. Or, make this and my Lemon-Dill Shrimp & Orzo and you've got yourself an awesome picnic. Enjoy!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Gennipher May
Making money for genmay, one jealous bitch at a time.

I love zucchini

I put zucchini and spinach on pizza so I imagine this is quite good.

samechick

looks awesome! just needs some soy cream cheese =P

where did you get your cutting board?

Gennipher May
Making money for genmay, one jealous bitch at a time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samechick View Post
just needs some soy cream cheese =P
you get out of here with that nonsense!

ceejamon
Ignore this post

Quote:
Originally Posted by samechick View Post
looks awesome! just needs some soy cream cheese =P

where did you get your cutting board?

Bought it from an old Creole man who does woodworking, mainly furniture. He makes incredible blackberry wine, too. It's well used as you can see. I love it, it's nice and big.

samechick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceejamon View Post
Bought it from an old Creole man who does woodworking, mainly furniture. He makes incredible blackberry wine, too. It's well used as you can see. I love it, it's nice and big.

i have cutting board envy

Enayla
<3 *muah* - Regime|Life

Your food always makes my mouth water. <3 Keep them coming

DeejayPancake

I'd love you to make a zucchini and chicken skillet dish... Mmmm

I am interested in this idea, though. Always looking for another way to enjoy my favorite veggie... and squash, and mushrooms, and olives... Veggies <3

Oh yes, you'd better believe I'm a chick that loves video games.

Last edited by DeejayPancake; 05-11-2008 at 08:51 PM..

ceejamon
Ignore this post

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeejayPancake View Post
I'd love you to make a zucchini and chicken skillet dish... Mmmm

I am interested in this idea, though. Always looking for another way to enjoy my favorite veggie... and squash, and mushrooms, and olives... Veggies <3

I sometimes will cook 2 chicken breasts in the skillet in olive oil, seasoned with S&P, random herbs, etc. When they're done, I pull them out and wrap in foil to let them rest. Add a little more oil to the skillet, then add sliced zucchini, S&P, and saute.

A lot of times I'll toss sliced zucchini, squash, red onion, and mushrooms into a skillet with olive oil, salt, pepper, dry orgegano, and crushed red pepper. Saute until done, and then add some lemon juice. Tasty & easy side dish. It's also good for when you're grilling. Toss everything into a foil pouch and throw on the grill with whatever else you're grilling.