General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > Bone Closet
Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Photonic

Constant leg cramps... indicative of something more serious?

I'm completely lost as to what to check out next, so I thought I would bounce this issue off of you all:

For almost a year now, I have been experiencing really bad cramping in my quads. It is particularly bad in the mornings, and the pain seems to subside with some stretching and light cardio, but the tightness remains and nothing seems to relieve it. Also, massaging seems to help temporarily with the pain, as I can physically feel a cramped lump in my quad... although I can feel it get smaller with massage, it never quite goes away. I once had an EXCELLENT professional massage, which made the rest of my body feel awesome but the cramps still remained.

Doctor visits:

Being female and all, I decided to ask my gynecologist about it at my last checkup since I frequently get the same type of cramping around that fun time of month, and she suggested vitamin C supplements. I went to another generic doctor about the issue a few months later and he gave me some muscle relaxers, which helped me sleep (the pain was previously waking me up in the middle of the night it was so bad) but doesn't seem to be doing the trick.

Things I have tried thus far to remedy it:

- increased water intake
- taking vitamin C supplements and multivitamins
- tried muscle relaxants, but only put me to sleep
- stretching regularly
- light cardio to get the blood moving
- massage
- ibuprofen

Any thoughts as to what could be going on here? Conditions I should look into?

Last edited by Photonic; 06-03-2008 at 06:33 AM.. Reason: added to "things tried" list

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

BuSH

I know you have this in the "remedy" section but how much water are you drinking? If you are fully hydrated you should be urinating frequently during the day.

Also stretching won't really remedy the situation. Certainly stretch but have you tried rubbing the "knot". This seems like a very weird problem to have.

Do you workout with weights?

I'm training very hard right now and found that hydration or a lack there of really exacerbated any problems I was having.

Burner27
pwned

Take a look at your potassium (Vitamin K) intake. Eat bananas or take a multivitamin. If none of these work, please consult a doctor.

Photonic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuSH View Post
I know you have this in the "remedy" section but how much water are you drinking? If you are fully hydrated you should be urinating frequently during the day.

Also stretching won't really remedy the situation. Certainly stretch but have you tried rubbing the "knot". This seems like a very weird problem to have.

Do you workout with weights?

I'm training very hard right now and found that hydration or a lack there of really exacerbated any problems I was having.

Yes I have to take a piss rather frequently since I drink so much water. I drink at least 3 32oz nalgenes a day plus the water I drink at meals which is usually at least a couple of glasses

Yes I do try to massage out the "knot" which hurts but feels good at the same time if you know what I mean.. it gets smaller after working at it for awhile, but it comes right back within a few hours.

I used to lift with my boyfriend on a regular basis (powerlifter, doing a less hardcore version of his program) but right now I'm in Spain finishing up a study abroad so I haven't lifted in about 4 months. Just walking a shit ton.

Photonic

Err I need to correct something: Doctor suggested CALCIUM supplements, not vitamin C, and I'm taking the some of the viactive supplements for that plus a women's multivitamin which has extra calcium in it anyway.

fapling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burner27 View Post
Take a look at your potassium (Vitamin K) intake. Eat bananas or take a multivitamin. If none of these work, please consult a doctor.

qft. perhaps you're missing other electrolytes...Mg for example is usually deficient in Americans.

perhaps there is something you are ingesting regularly that is inhibiting the functioning of electrolytes in your body. not sure if that exists or not, but something to wikipedia about if you have time.

w.r.t the knot, have you tried rubbing it out with a tennis ball? place the ball on the floor and then put your quad on top of it where the knot is, and roll it around a little bit.

see another doctor if you think your electrolyte intake is balanced and this problem still isn't going away.

are you pissing clear? that's a good measure of whether or not you're hydrated.

theNoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burner27 View Post

This is your solution right here, potassium intake or lack thereof = muscle cramps.

Photonic

How do I know if I am getting enough electrolytes?

I take a multivitamin and the viactive chews that I take have calcium and potassium supplements

Any particular type of doctor I should consult or just go back to the regular one like I did before?

Splash

I once worked with a football player who was notorious for his chronic cramping, many times in the middle of a game. He was put on a regemine of banannas, Gatorade, and PediaSure popsicles. It seemed to work out well for him, to the point where they kept pediasure drinks on the sidelines for when he started to feel like he was cramping up.

Make sure you have salt in your diet as well...good luck!

Photonic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splash View Post
I once worked with a football player who was notorious for his chronic cramping, many times in the middle of a game. He was put on a regemine of banannas, Gatorade, and PediaSure popsicles. It seemed to work out well for him, to the point where they kept pediasure drinks on the sidelines for when he started to feel like he was cramping up.

Pediasure? That's really interesting.

Splash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photonic View Post
Pediasure? That's really interesting.

Yeah I know...but it's made for kids who have diarrhea and end up dehydrated as a result. It works to replace lost electrolytes and apparently works well for cramping.

Splash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splash View Post
I once worked with a football player who was notorious for his chronic cramping, many times in the middle of a game. He was put on a regemine of banannas, Gatorade, and Pedialyte popsicles. It seemed to work out well for him, to the point where they kept pediasure drinks on the sidelines for when he started to feel like he was cramping up.

MAJOR EDIT!!!!: Pedialyte...NOT pediasure

Aseras

calcium ( like calcium gluconate ) would help balance a sodium potassium problem. Usually though constant cramping is a sodium deficit.

most calcium supplements do not get absorbed. they go right through you.

Photonic

I usually try to take my multivitamins/supplements with food because I read somewhere that it helps to absorb them...Has anyone else heard this?

I also drink a ton of milk and eat yogurt/cheeses quite a lot so I find it hard to believe I have a calcium problem, but I figured better safe than sorry, especially for us females.

fapling

citric acid + calcium = calcium not absorbed. so if you eat an orange with your multivitamin...not so useful. vitamin c fortified orange juice? again, not so useful.