General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Everyday Life.
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

WinWhistler

So... I need a bank account, but I already owe a couple of banks some money...

Back when I was a little younger I had a bank account opened, after a year or so times got hard and I overdrafted my account for the money, causing the account to eventually close on a negative balance. About a year later, with another account, the same thing happened.

I know, I know.

Anyway, I've got a much better job, moved to a different place, make over twice what I need to pay bills and provide grocery, and things are looking up. But I need a bank account for everyday stuff. Preferably with a credit union (which my employer doesn't have.)

What do you guys think I should do?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

jkoebel

Pay off old balances to correct credit score and get a new account?

WinWhistler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkoebel View Post
Pay off old balances to correct credit score and get a new account?

That's probably what I'll end up doing, but I was hoping for a quick way to get a debit card (as opposed to paying off both the banks first.)

Bradd
I THOUGHT GOOGLE IS WHAT MY FATHER DOES TO ME EVERY NIGHT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinWhistler View Post
That's probably what I'll end up doing, but I was hoping for a quick way to get a debit card (as opposed to paying off both the banks first.)

Now sounds like a good a time as ever to set things straight.

Heathen-Yak
OMGDIE2U

there's always prepaid debit cards i suppose......

Thermo1223

Pay off old accounts before doing anything else.
Range - GTFO god :rolleyes:

Talenos

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinWhistler View Post

Think about it, if you were a bank and a guy wanted to start an account, are you going to want to give a guy that has two unpaid bills at other banks an account?

When you're ready for your actual account, then go to www.bankrate.com and find a high paying interest account that tickles your fancy.

DHermit
www.TShirtReview.com

Have you actually gone into a bank and tried to open a new account and been denied?

Dongboy
I am Kruzens Brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHermit View Post
Have you actually gone into a bank and tried to open a new account and been denied?

this

a lot of banks will sign you up if you have negative history with a competing bank. of course it helps if you have some sort of history with them, maybe a bank you pulled some student loans with or are otherwise in business with already.

if you're bad listed with chexsystems you can find a bank that doesn't use them (there are actually a lot of major banks that don't) becuase they do their own lookup or something similar

dlink55

wamu.com

coalesce

you're most likely on chexsystems and you're most likely fucked. gotta wait a few years till most banks open an account for you. i think some credit unions will be more likely to work with you.

bigdaddysmack

I overdrafted on one of my accounts that I got when I was like 16 or 17 that my mom had to sign on to in order for me to have it. Well I overdrafted one day by like a dollar and deposited a few bucks the next day to cover it but it didn't work since they had already charged the $15 overdraft fee and we tried calling them to sort everything out but nothing ever got done and they ended up closing the account or something and now the collection agencys are looking into it... This happened when I was 18, and I am now 19 and still haven't tried to open a bank account. I would like to real soon but am wondering, is this going to effect my credit in anyway or is it all on my moms since she had to sign on to the account aswel?

Gennipher May
Making money for genmay, one jealous bitch at a time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddysmack View Post
they had already charged the $15 overdraft fee and we tried calling them to sort everything out but nothing ever got done and they ended up closing the account or something and now the collection agencys are looking into it...
Is this a joke?
Give them $15.

Thermo1223

If your Mom had to cosign to open the account she will get colection notice of her credit reports as well.

Why she would be so stupid as to not pay it herself is well just that...stupid.
Range - GTFO god :rolleyes:

bigdaddysmack

I called one of the people at the bank explaining the situation about how I had deposited just enough money to clear the money that I had owed and she assured me that there would be no problem. After a week or so, I check my account online and it's way in the negatives from all the $-8 daily fees or something for being under 0.

I tell my mom, and we end up calling them over several weeks trying to explain the situation and even willing to pay the first $15 fee to cover everything. They kept refunding us money but not enough to what it should have been. By the time they had refunded us the first time it was still like -$100 and there was no way we were going to pay that.

My mother ended up closing all her accounts and just switching banks. We had no problem paying the $15 but this bank was just trying to fuck with us and wasn't helpful at all.