General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Everyday Life.
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

nubsauce

How to write an application email for job?

Hey,

I dont usually post threads asking for advice but this is one topic i'm absolutely stumped on - in terms of gettin the right message across but without over writing, etc.

I'm in canada trying to email HR about a bank teller job. I will be attaching my resume as well as a cover letter so most grounds are covered but I'm not too sure how to write the actual email of interest.

Any help or suggestions would be awesome!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Trailblazer

You mean like a small introduction?

Your cover letter speaks for itself and your resume is your credentials/contact information. Cover letter being your intents, goals, why you want the job.

I'd say keep it short, simple, and formal. Something like, Here's my name, I'm applying for this position. Regards.

In much more clear language, of course.

nubsauce

Yeah like a quick intro but with a stronger impact. I'm sure they sift through plenty of emails a day so I hope to have something for them to at least pull my resume and cover letter for review later, rather than straight to the deletion bin. I'm not lookin for anything crazy, i guess i just have a little block right now =\

Trailblazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nubsauce View Post
Yeah like a quick intro but with a stronger impact. I'm sure they sift through plenty of emails a day so I hope to have something for them to at least pull my resume and cover letter for review later, rather than straight to the deletion bin. I'm not lookin for anything crazy, i guess i just have a little block right now =\

Honestly, I think less is more in this case. I mean unless you are unqualified for the job, your credentials speak for themselves. Personally...I think I wrote this when I emailed my application to HR for my current job.

Quote:
Hello, my name is John Smith. This e-mail is in regards to the position of [whatever]. Enclosed are my resume and cover letter. Thank you for your time.
As you said, HR people read tons of email every day. Email is not a letter. Email is like a memo. Short and sweet. You want them to be able to read it quickly. The email is a vehicle for your application. Your interview will be about impact. Your COVER LETTER is about impact. This is not.

Last edited by Trailblazer; 08-27-2008 at 02:59 PM..

nubsauce

good point.

thanks for putting things into perspective, i guess i kinda over thought things... time to get it done.

Talenos

Yeah pretty much every job I applied to was like this.

You just say, Hi I'm so and so, I saw your posting on such and such place. I would like to apply for the position of bla bla bla.

I have attached a copy of my resume along with a cover letter. Please let me know when we can schedule an interview.

Thanks,
Love So and So