General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Everyday Life.
Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

KatieP

Teflon in the dishwasher?

I've always thrown pots and pans into the dishwasher and never had problems but my new roommate just told me off for putting a new pan into the dishwasher since it had teflon. She said it messes up the teflon and can give you cancer (?)
She also said you shouldn't put any kind of pot or pan into the dishwasher.
Is it really that big of a deal? I always felt that using the dishwasher is more hygienic.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Gennipher May
Making money for genmay, one jealous bitch at a time.

I put my teflon All-Clads in the dishwasher and those are a couple hundred bucks each so tell her to stfu or you'll smack her in the head with the pan.

Just don't use metal on them, put them in there carefully so you don't scratch them, and see if they'll come clean without soap or very little of it. I think it's the dishwasher soap that wears on the teflon, not the dishwasher.

http://www.teflon.com/NASApp/Teflon/...g/faq/faq.html
16. Can I put the pan in the dishwasher?
Generally, it is not necessary to wash cookware or bakeware with a non-stick finish in the dishwasher, but this extremely thorough cleaning will not harm the finish, or affect the performance quality.

khergan
I make Bryant Gumbel look like Malcom X

From DuPont, the makers of Teflon:
We wouldn't be doing our job if you couldn't put all of our
non-sticks in the dishwasher. While dishwashers are perfectly safe for
our non-sticks, you should always check the manufacturer's care
instructions to make sure the pan itself is dishwasher safe.

Taken off their website.

LAZERGUNPEWPEW

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieP View Post
I've always thrown pots and pans into the dishwasher and never had problems but my new roommate just told me off for putting a new pan into the dishwasher since it had teflon. She said it messes up the teflon and can give you cancer (?)
She also said you shouldn't put any kind of pot or pan into the dishwasher.
Is it really that big of a deal? I always felt that using the dishwasher is more hygienic.

We only handwash the teflon pans at work because the chemicals in alot of dishwasher detergants will corrode the teflon and cause particles of it to come into the food when its being cooked, which is carcinogenic.

However, the majority of shit in food is carcinogenic anyways.

illig

your roommate is confused... you're not supposed to heat empty teflon pans or stick them in an oven... putting them in a dishwasher is fine

BethComesFromAbove

Your roommate is just buying into some propaganda that has been going around for quite some time. Teflon is a non-reactive material, which does absolutely nothing. If you heat it up very high, like full temp, empty for hours on end, it will vaporize some dangerous chemicals, so you shouldn't do high temperature cooking in them.

tmoney1876

Quote:
Originally Posted by illig View Post
your roommate is confused... you're not supposed to heat empty teflon pans or stick them in an oven... putting them in a dishwasher is fine

You can put them in the oven, but don't heat them over 450 or so, the stuff doesn't vaporize until 500 F IIRC.

CletusJones
Sleeman for mod!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gennipher May View Post
I put my teflon All-Clads in the dishwasher and those are a couple hundred bucks each so tell her to stfu or you'll smack her in the head with the pan.
You might want to check the warranty on your pans again. The one all stainless all-clad I have said that dishwasher washing would void the lifetime warranty. The rest of my cookware is calphalon copper and it also says no dishwasher. The only stuff I have that says it's ok for the dishwasher is the stuff from lecreuset.

I don't know how they would be able to tell if it went into the dishwasher but it's easy enough to just wash them by hand

Gennipher May
Making money for genmay, one jealous bitch at a time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CletusJones View Post
You might want to check the warranty on your pans again. The one all stainless all-clad I have said that dishwasher washing would void the lifetime warranty. The rest of my cookware is calphalon copper and it also says no dishwasher. The only stuff I have that says it's ok for the dishwasher is the stuff from lecreuset.

I don't know how they would be able to tell if it went into the dishwasher but it's easy enough to just wash them by hand

Ya it says to wash them with Softscrub.
But I don't care. I'd rather pay for new pans than do dishes every night of my life.

k1114
sanjay's love child

The "teflon" on modern non-stick pans isn't dangerous, and according to the FDA, is technically edible (it's not really teflon). Listened to a segment on NPR about this a few months back.

Heathen-Yak
OMGDIE2U

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gennipher May View Post
Ya it says to wash them with Softscrub.
But I don't care. I'd rather pay for new pans than do dishes every night of my life.

srsly, doing dishes FTL. my all-clads say dishwasher safe.

Creepster.old
I may be a lowly 340k but I still <3 [H]ard|on

I wash mine in the dishwasher all the time, but only if the coating is in mint condtion.

And as several other posters has pointed out, it realeases carcinogens when heated to very high temperature.

Don't use metal on them, and throw them out if it starts peeling in any way

PS: Send your freind my way, i'd teach her a thing or two about the kitchen
(sorry, couldn't resist)

Cads

I was wondering why it is necessary to put non-stick cookware in the dishwasher in the first place I usually just throw a pan in the sink to let it cool off after taking it off the stovetop and wipe down with water and a paper towel to clean.

code30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cads View Post
I was wondering why it is necessary to put non-stick cookware in the dishwasher in the first place I usually just throw a pan in the sink to let it cool off after taking it off the stovetop and wipe down with water and a paper towel to clean.

I was wondering if anyone else would mention this.

If it's teflon, cleaning is a breeze. I rinse my pans after I'm done cooking, go eat my dinner, and come back and wipe them down with a wet sponge. Presto! Clean pots and pans.

DigitalChaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmoney1876 View Post
You can put them in the oven, but don't heat them over 450 or so, the stuff doesn't vaporize until 500 F IIRC.

depends what study you read. 460F is where most agree the super toxic shit starts going into the air, so dont preheat teflon pans!!! Some studies have shown outgassing at 396F.

either way, cooking with them is going to introduce a LOT more heat than a fucking dishwasher The OP's roomate seems to be a bit... challenged.

edit: this guy has clearly been sucking down teflon fumes for way too long:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BethComesFromAbove View Post
Your roommate is just buying into some propaganda that has been going around for quite some time. Teflon is a non-reactive material, which does absolutely nothing. If you heat it up very high, like full temp, empty for hours on end, it will vaporize some dangerous chemicals, so you shouldn't do high temperature cooking in them.
hint: a pan can go from room temp to vaporizing teflon in about 3 minutes