General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > CompuGlobalHyperMegaNet
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

afxacid

WinXP - Changing VGA to DVI as primary monitor ??

DVI (LCD/Primary monitor) and VGA (CRT secondary monitor).

In WinXP, the VGA is labeled 1, and the DVI is labeled 2.

No big deal for the most part, but lately as I remote desktop in, when I come back home and log in ... it will sometimes switch all of my icons, start menu, bar, etc.

Basically, how do I switch Monitor 1 and 2 around in Display Properties, so that my LCD is set to 1 (as recognized by windows), and the CRT is 2?

I am using UltraMon2 to manage my backgrounds, if this makes any difference.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

br0keit

I think that management would be done in your video card control center. I could be wrong though

UID=growler

Right click on the monitor -> set as primary display.

If it is grayed out I think you need to uncheck the current primary monitor or disable it or something.

phorensic

The answer to this question should be straightforward. However, in the real world, it's a FUCKING mess. I manage about 100 dual/triple monitor machines and it's a new adventure each time they have a problem. Basically, what you need to do, is fuck around with the settings in the Windows XP control panel (not whatever your video card drivers or ultramon gives you). Here are your combinations - physically switch cables on the monitors (use DVI->VGA adapters as necessary), click and drag one monitor in the control panel to the "other side" (you'll see what I mean once you drag the monitor icons around), and then you also have the option of virtually re-assigning the monitor numbers by toggling (fighting) the "Use this device as the primary monitor" and "Extend my Windows desktop onto this monitor", and yet another option to add into the mix is that you can drag your taskbar onto the other monitor (but the desktop icons will stay attached to monitor 1 by default). After you think you have everything sorted, reboot your computer, almost guaranteed everything will be fucked up and you will have to try a new combination that will stick after a reboot.

Good luck! After a while I got good at it, but it's a clusterfuck of configuration options never sorted by MS or video card manuf's.

afxacid

i have everything setup ok (layout), have my LCD (MY primary monitor, but shows as Display #2 in Windows Display Panel), and my CRT is showing as Display #1 (even though it is being used as a secondary monitor).

I have my LCD checked as "use this as primary monitor", but even with that you will still see windows shows it as display #2.

Just using my PC, it doesn't make a difference. My LCD is properly setup as the primary (icons, start bar, etc), and the CRT is the secondary.

The problems comes after I remote desktop in (so only 1 screen in use), and then when i come home and use my PC, it will switch the start bar, icons, etc to "Display #1" which is the CRT. Probably because Windows refers to that as Display #1

It takes a few seconds to disable the CRT, make the LCD enabled / primary, click OK (start menu / icons back on LCD), and then re-enable the CRT.

Just a hassle when I come home to flip the shit back again.

If I could just Assign the LCD to #1, it would probably be fine.
Maybe I'll check BIOS?

afxacid

i want those switched (1 and 2), so windows recognizes my lcd as display 1

phorensic

LOL, welcome to the clusterfuck my friend. That is exactly a problem I have had in the past. Just keep messing with it, you will find a combo that works. Do you have the option to physically swap cables? Or will you lose quality because you will lose a proper DVI output? I say that because there are like ten combinations of outputs depending on which video card you bought.

phorensic

I'm looking at it again, and what you should do first is drag monitor 2 to the right of monitor 1, so that it reads 1-2 left to right...Then mess with "Use this device as the primary monitor" until it gets the numbering right. Hit "Identifiy" to confirm. I hope it's not greyed out right now because you are a limited user, though.

BBnet3000
<ABlix> I WANTED TO BE WITH HER

disable whatever monitor you dont want as your primary.

make sure that the one you do want as your primary is then primary.

then reenable the other monitor

this may work, it may not. ive always had pretty good luck with multiple monitors, it might be because ive used ultramon the entire time that ive used multiple monitors

phorensic

you figured it out BBnet3000, he has to uncheck one monitor before he can check the other.

afxacid

Yes, I know. I can do all of this and play around with it back and forth.

Disable Dispaly #1 (my CRT)...and it keeps my LCD as Display 2.

Now, I can restart my computer with it disabled and with it physically disconnected. This should make my LCD Display 1 (and only 1 display showing in the disp properties), but i thought i've tried this in the past and as soon as I plug the CRT back in and restart winXP, it goes back to the same.

le'sigh,

Shad0w

Install the latest nvidia drivers and use the control panel in there to do it.

It's not quite as flaky as windows can be at figuring shit out.