General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Everyday Life.
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Comatose51

Dealing with Prank Calls on Cellphone

I've been getting a few prank calls on my cellphone from a "restricted" number (doesn't show number). What's the best way of dealing with this? According to this, http://answers.google.com/answers/th...id/785487.html , it is illegal under California law and I can file a police report. Before doing that, is there an easier way of dealing with this?

Thanks.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

blue_monk
Kiddie Corral Material

if you don't recognize the number, why even answer it? open your phone up quickly then slap it closed and hang up on them.

Comatose51

I don't want the phone to ring and bother me. I do, however, want to be able to receive real calls.

blue_monk
Kiddie Corral Material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comatose51 View Post
I don't want the phone to ring and bother me. I do, however, want to be able to receive real calls.

Oh sorry. I thought you didn't want to receive real calls and wanted the ring to bother you.

RioFan

You can call the cell phone company and tell them to block all private calls. Some phones even have that option, mine does. You should check it out

Comatose51

Quote:
Originally Posted by RioFan View Post
You can call the cell phone company and tell them to block all private calls. Some phones even have that option, mine does. You should check it out

I tried calling them but there's apparently nothing they can do about it. The only thing they can block are text messages. They did however give me free 50 minutes. I'm going to try to leave my phone off for a while and see if that stops. It kind of sucks since I'm expecting a call from my doctor on some lab results. They probably won't leave a voice mail with the results. Also, I don't want the bastards to leave prank voicemails. However, I don't think they get the same satisfaction voice mails as they do from someone answering.

tad

what do you mean "prank" call? are they just hanging up, or do they say something?

xunknown87x

doesnt *69 dial the number that last called u? maybe start calling them heh

Corbin

Not sure if this works with cellphones, but my friend's landline used to get a ton of prank calls and so they made it so you couldn't call their number if you had a blocked or restricted number (you had to call back pressing *87 first or whatever unblocks your number). I had to do it whenever I called from my parents house because they had a restricted number.

Comatose51

Quote:
Originally Posted by tad View Post
what do you mean "prank" call? are they just hanging up, or do they say something?

No they actually say things. One time they pretend to be the coast guard. Since my number is from FL they assumed that I'm still living in FL and had a boat. They probably thought that they're prank calling a local number. Other times it's just the sound of a television playing the background.

Comatose51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbin View Post
Not sure if this works with cellphones, but my friend's landline used to get a ton of prank calls and so they made it so you couldn't call their number if you had a blocked or restricted number (you had to call back pressing *87 first or whatever unblocks your number). I had to do it whenever I called from my parents house because they had a restricted number.

Nope. Virgin Mobile told me that they can't do anything like that.

tad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comatose51 View Post
No they actually say things. One time they pretend to be the coast guard. Since my number is from FL they assumed that I'm still living in FL and had a boat. They probably thought that they're prank calling a local number. Other times it's just the sound of a television playing the background.

call your wireless provider and tell them that you're receiving harassing phone calls. tell them that if they don't pursue the issue and block the calls you will contact your local p.d.
if they do nothing, call your local p.d. (non emergency line) and tell them that you've been receiving harassing phone calls and ask them what recourse you have. They may be able to compel the provider to determine the originating number or block the calls.

explosivo
you will be sick of this title in a week <3 IMN

fire an air horn into the phone

William-043
the king of men -tew

voicemail saying this is the fbi

imadecookies

Quote:
Originally Posted by explosivo View Post
fire an air horn into the phone

this.