General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > Bone Closet
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Reply
 
Thread Tools
ti-89
 
I smoke - will my doctor be able to find out?

I smoke about half a pack a day, been smoking for about the past 5 years. Please don't turn this into a don't smoke thread.

He won't be able to smell it on me because I won't smoke the day of my appointment, and will have showered, brushed my teeth the night before and the morning of, and will wear clean clothing. And I don't smoke indoors so my clean clothing does not smell either.

It's my regular physical, so he'll probably be doing all the standard tests, a blood test, etc... Is there anything that can show up? Nicotine levels or some other traces of chemicals? Do they even explicitly test for this stuff during annual physicals?

Again, spare the anti-smoking advice, stick to the topic.
Old 01-19-2009, 09:35 PM ti-89 is offline  
Reply With Quote
#1  

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Gibonius
 
Are you trying to dodge being labeled a smoker for insurance purposes? That's about the only reason I can think of for caring if your doctor knows.
Old 01-19-2009, 09:40 PM Gibonius is offline  
Reply With Quote
#2  

ti-89
 
Yes, insurance is one reason. What are the repurcusions of this from my doctor finding out you smoke? How will it impact my insurance?

Other reason is my parents go to the same doctor, and since I just graduated from college, all my medical stuff still gets mailed to my parent's house since I don't have a permanent address yet.
Old 01-19-2009, 09:50 PM ti-89 is offline  
Reply With Quote
#3  

wilse
 
wilse's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ti-89 View Post
Yes, insurance is one reason. What are the repurcusions of this from my doctor finding out you smoke? How will it impact my insurance?

Other reason is my parents go to the same doctor, and since I just graduated from college, all my medical stuff still gets mailed to my parent's house since I don't have a permanent address yet.

uh yeah but it would be addressed to you, not your parents so who gives a shit
__________________
[M]
Old 01-19-2009, 09:50 PM wilse is offline  
Reply With Quote
#4  

ti-89
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilse View Post
uh yeah but it would be addressed to you, not your parents so who gives a shit

my parents will still open it; also, the insurance stuff...how would it affect me?
Old 01-19-2009, 09:53 PM ti-89 is offline  
Reply With Quote
#5  

theNoid
 
theNoid's Avatar
 
Regarding your insurance, it 'could' affect your premium. However my medical didn't ask me if I smoke (quit 3 years ago). I do know that life insurance on the other hand can be tricky. However, I can't really give you any advice beyond that. Lie good?
__________________
855d05149c8915538dbad94c796751cc
Old 01-19-2009, 09:57 PM theNoid is offline  
Reply With Quote
#6  

BuGaLoU
 
BuGaLoU's Avatar
 
Damn dude don't cheat the system. Man up and admit to your addiction. You are an adult aren't you? Do you lack integrity or something?
__________________
I did it like this, I did it like that, I did it with a wiffleball bat
Old 01-19-2009, 10:02 PM BuGaLoU is offline  
Reply With Quote
#7  

chockomonkey
 
I'd love to know the insurance repercussions as well...
__________________
"Please consider me as an alternative to suicide?"
Old 01-19-2009, 10:05 PM chockomonkey is offline  
Reply With Quote
#8  

RiderOnTheStorm
Stapler makes me hard
 
RiderOnTheStorm's Avatar
 
What does your doctor mail to your house that would say you were a smoker? I've gotten numerous physicals done and due to HIPAA among other things, I get personal calls. They never mail results to me unless I request them.
__________________
Aphrodite is my intarweb wifey <3
Adopted noob: senzafine. Be nice.
"Matt, make an RSS feed of this guy's posts."
-GavinZac
Old 01-19-2009, 10:21 PM RiderOnTheStorm is offline  
Reply With Quote
#9  

keer sucking gewk
RETARDRETARDRETARDRETARDRETARDRETARDGAYTARD
 
he will know you are a smoker when he listens to your lungs with the stethoscope..

there is no way around this.. because of the amount that you smoke you cant really hide it.. even by trying to play it off as a cold or whatever, it sounds really different.

edit: maybe if you dont do deep breaths you can fool him????? i HIGHHLYY doubt it though

edit2: they dont check for anything like this in a blood test though (nicotene etc..)
__________________
best 34k EVAR - William-043
you win at life :cool: - Berticus

R.I.P Mr. Legs :(

001a5047fe7417f6b77c470348d2b783 [y yuo throw haet :( :(] porn may <3's yuo.
Old 01-19-2009, 10:26 PM keer sucking gewk is offline  
Reply With Quote
#10  

BethComesFromAbove
 
Bad idea -- your doctor should know that you smoke, as it can affect many medical conditions and conflict with many medications. It's an important thing for him/her to keep in mind when making a treatment plan for anything down the road.

Not that it won't be hard for the doctor to tell that you smoke by their own observation, though. Besides the fact that your skin, teeth and fingertips usually give it away, you probably think your clothes smell less than they really do because your sense of smell is less sensitive to cigarette odors after regular smoking for five years. A doctor will also be listening to your breathing with a stethoscope, which I heard can also give it away (makes sense as that is often how other respiratory abnormalities are picked up). So I think there's a good chance that you're just going to have to 'fess up.
Old 01-19-2009, 10:27 PM BethComesFromAbove is offline  
Reply With Quote
#11  

Bradd
I THOUGHT GOOGLE IS WHAT MY FATHER DOES TO ME EVERY NIGHT!
 
Bradd's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by keer sucking gewk View Post
he will know you are a smoker when he listens to your lungs with the stethoscope..

there is no way around this.. because of the amount that you smoke you cant really hide it.. even by trying to play it off as a cold or whatever, it sounds really different.

edit: maybe if you dont do deep breaths you can fool him????? i HIGHHLYY doubt it though

edit2: they dont check for anything like this in a blood test though (nicotene etc..)

Stick to what you know.
Old 01-20-2009, 09:34 AM Bradd is offline  
Reply With Quote
#12  

RazorWind
 
Sounds to me like the OP's primary concern here is that if any of the tests they do say "Patient is a smoker" his parents are going to see this and give him a hard time about it.

Best solution, IMO, is to have them send whatever test results to wherever you're at now, so your parents won't even see them. I expect doctors can tell pretty easily who is and is not a smoker, but I doubt they're going to send your parents a letter about it.
__________________
90f54f9cfb4106d1ef0e6a82e53f14
Old 01-20-2009, 10:00 AM RazorWind is offline  
Reply With Quote
#13  

xLudax
 
You definitely want him to know you are a smoker. It can affect certain prescriptions and some test levels, so it could lead them to come up with an incorrect diagnosis. I say be honest to the doctor, and ask him if they send anyting of the like. I doubt they will, and your doctor isn't going to care, and by law, he can't tell your parents. So just find out if they send anything like that, and if they do, change your address.

Easy as that.
Old 01-20-2009, 10:17 AM xLudax is offline  
Reply With Quote
#14  

Kahnza
el borracho
I luvs me some big ole fatties... too bad my lil weiner makes them cry! :(
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RazorWind View Post
Sounds to me like the OP's primary concern here is that if any of the tests they do say "Patient is a smoker" his parents are going to see this and give him a hard time about it.

Best solution, IMO, is to have them send whatever test results to wherever you're at now, so your parents won't even see them. I expect doctors can tell pretty easily who is and is not a smoker, but I doubt they're going to send your parents a letter about it.

meh, my parents know i smoke and my sister's smoke and even if they didn't i would be more concerned about insurance business.
__________________
Most will agree when I say half my posts arent worth reading.

OWK is my official hero.

suffocate (9:05:45 PM): he's the sweetest guy you will ever meet. fuck off.
Old 01-20-2009, 10:18 AM Kahnza is offline  
Reply With Quote
#15  

Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:44 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.