General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > Bone Closet
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

bigandy839
RMG 4Ever! Will blow to join.

How long should stitches stay in for?

Yesterday, I went to the skin cancer clinic for a checkup of all my spots and moles (it's a common thing to do in Australia because we have such a high rate of skin cancer). As a precaution, the doc surgically removed a mole from my back, and the hole stitched up - 4 stitches, I'm pretty sure.

Aside from all the other after care information, he told me to get the stitches taken out in two weeks. Was OK with me. However, today I was chatting with two completely separate people at two separate times, and both of them said that stitches really shouldn't stay in that long. Apparently 7 days is the norm for this kind of thing, MAX 10 days?

If it helps, my estimations of the excision (when I peered at the mole in the jar, post-removal) would be 6mm in diameter and 3-5mm deep.

Anyone have any general info?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Potato
So stupid, I need help with iTunes. Thanks McFatter!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigandy839 View Post
Yesterday, I went to the skin cancer clinic for a checkup of all my spots and moles (it's a common thing to do in Australia because we have such a high rate of skin cancer). As a precaution, the doc surgically removed a mole from my back, and the hole stitched up - 4 stitches, I'm pretty sure.

Aside from all the other after care information, he told me to get the stitches taken out in two weeks. Was OK with me. However, today I was chatting with two completely separate people at two separate times, and both of them said that stitches really shouldn't stay in that long. Apparently 7 days is the norm for this kind of thing, MAX 10 days?

If it helps, my estimations of the excision (when I peered at the mole in the jar, post-removal) would be 6mm in diameter and 3-5mm deep.

Anyone have any general info?

I had the same exact procedure done on me, I believe it is called a biopsy. Each time though, he said to get them taken out after a week. Make sure you know what kind of stitches there are because you may have a complicated one like I had.

Omega31589

As long as the doctor says they should stay in. He's a professional that's been educated for over ten years of his life in medicine, and I'm doubting the two schlubs who told you that or any of us have any comparable medical experience with which to tell you otherwise.

Gibonius

When I had moles removed, they left the stitches in for two weeks. Probably could have come out sooner, they had started to heal over by then and were kind of a pain in the ass to remove. I'd listen to the doc, he knows what he's talking about. Follow any post-op treatment advice he gave you too, or you'll probably end up with some annoying scars.

Mayko

2 weeks is a general blanket statement. If you want them out sooner 1week to 10 days, go have them out. That is, if you're going in to have them removed by someone... they will be trained to tell if they should/shouldn't come out.

Generally a lot of stitches are only in for 1 week, but a lot of times that is because they are in the face. Your face/mouth heals really fast because it has an amazing vascular system. I had 11 stitches in my lip (it was cut in half up to my nose) that I took out myself after about 5-6 days.

But, If they don't bother you... then just leave them there for the 2 weeks and go have them taken our, or grab a pair of scissors and needle nose pliers and go to work.

bggrthnjsus

they should stay in as long as they need to. you can't just think oh one or two weeks, they should be in til the wound is healed. although i honestly wouldn't bother going back to a doctor to get stitches taken back out unless they're in a very sensitive or hard to reach location, it's pretty retardedly easy to remove them.

bigandy839

Sorry - should mention that I won't be taking them out myself, I'll be getting a doctor to do it (different doc who put them in, because the skin cancer clinic is a long way away).

I'll simply go in and say "had this mole removed, and I think the stitches are ready to come out. Can you please have a look?". I'm simply trying to work out when I can/should go see the doc.

And the reason I ask is because I'm moving house at the end of next week, and would like to have them out before then (that's around 10 days, but 2 weeks is after the move) if possible.

Inf
I stand by all the misstatements that I've made.

It doesn't really matter past a week. It's a simple procedure, just go in, tell em you need stitches out. A nurse or someone will direct you to a room, take em out in less than 5 mins, and you'll be on your way.
koala coalition ftw!!!

bggrthnjsus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigandy839 View Post
Sorry - should mention that I won't be taking them out myself, I'll be getting a doctor to do it (different doc who put them in, because the skin cancer clinic is a long way away).

I'll simply go in and say "had this mole removed, and I think the stitches are ready to come out. Can you please have a look?". I'm simply trying to work out when I can/should go see the doc.

And the reason I ask is because I'm moving house at the end of next week, and would like to have them out before then (that's around 10 days, but 2 weeks is after the move) if possible.

i guess it's kind of hard to take stitches out of your back yourself

Bullit
Steve McQueeeeeen

just make sure you dont take them out too early and have the wound dehisce. just to minimize the scar and whatnot, but chicks dig scars so maybe you should take em out early.

bigwilliestyle711

I had ACL surgery and they said the stitches on my knee cap would push themselves out as the wound healed. It's been almost 3 months and I haven't seen the stitches come out but the wound is certainly healed...

bigandy839

Quote:
Originally Posted by bggrthnjsus View Post
i guess it's kind of hard to take stitches out of your back yourself
yep

and the GF was dry reaching last night when she changed the bandage (it's healed nicely, nothing wrong with it, she just doesn't do wounds very well) so I think she's out as far as removing them goes