General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Automotive [M]ayhem
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

lutzms

PT Cruiser timing belt

Last weekend my 2001 PT Cruiser died on the freeway when I was visiting the parents, and I had to have it towed back to their house. I was just able to get back up to look it over, and it's a broken timing belt issue. I also pulled the first spark plug (closest to the belt), and it was pretty much bathed in oil/had a gas smell to it. The rest of the plugs are dry, so I'm wondering if anyone can let me know what all I might be up against (I will be trying to find a shop to take it to, but I want a little knowledge so I don't get hammered too bad...like most, money is very tight for me right now)?

From what I've read, this is a non-interference motor to the extent that there is valve to piston clearance, but it sounds like the valves can interfere with each other. Would just the broken belt cause this issue with the oil, or does this sound like a result of valve interference? Any input would be great.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

illig

lucky on the non-interference part... i wouldn't think that your valves would hit either, since the snapping of the belt would basically freeze them in place

i'm only an internet mechanic, however.

LegalMaven

The oil on the plug should be unrelated to the timing belt. The problem could be a leaky valve cover seal if the oil was mainly on the body of the plug. If the electrode was covered but the body was clean, you might have a more serious problem like a blown ring or valve guide seal. I doubt that's the case, though, because you'd be burning quite a bit of oil and would likely notice.

bacf17acd5a8e3724da300df7aa223

lutzms

Thanks for the fast replies. I had thought the oil may be related to the valve gasket, so hopefully that's all that is wrong there. I should have made better note of where the oil was on the plug as it relates to the electrode. The threads where soaked, and there was some extending up onto the ceramic (I just can't recall if the electrode was relatively clean). Once I found the plug was full of oil, and the belt was broke, I just put everything back and posted the thread

LegalMaven

It's the valve cover gasket. Oil from the guide seals or the rings does not get up onto the threads.

bacf17acd5a8e3724da300df7aa223

Moloko

They are correct that it is a non interference in reference to valve + pistons, but as you read the valves actually hit each other when the timing belt goes. I would at very least pull the head, you may have more carnage than you can see.

1968 Chevelle 300 Deluxe
1979 Malibu Wagon
1994 Yukon SLE
1949 Chevy Styleline
1955 Buick Special