General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General Forums > [M]eetups
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

flshdncr
brkdncr
I want to hang out with all the boys ;)

SoCal summer [M]eet Party Planning Committee

OK it's time to get this thing planned out. 1st order of business, is Sanjay going to host it again? I've heard great things about his hosting capabilities.

If he's not, I'm more than willing to open up my place for everyone. My house is retardedly small, but the backyard area was designed to entertain a decent number of guests. I don't have a pool, but I do have a hot tub and I have music equipment. Street parking is easy around my place too. i have a decently large grill for grillin' foods. I have a projector in my house that I use for the Nintendo Wii, with enough room for people to get their Wii on too.

I'm close to old town pasadena which has a hooters still I believe, and a few other food places that range from cheap to pretty fancy. There's the Alhambra area too which has some fun asian-y places like Jazz Cat Cafe (a place that you boil your own food, i think they call it hot pot) and a bunch of thai diners like noodle planet, noodle world, etc. There's a few movie theathers in the area, one is right next to a YardHouse

But...i don't think Pasadena is that fun...there's not a lot of things you can go to other than food and bars and that's not a great idea for large parties since it costs money...

What I would be willing to lay down cash for is either go-kart or arcade games. There's one place that has both that I know of but it's all the way in Hacienda Heights, which is too far east to expect anyone to want to go to. I was told there's an arcarde place hear Ventura.

OK other ideas?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

aoeoae

this thread sounds more awkward than how the actual party will end up

liquidkristal

The key is to keep it simple, with a well defined schedule so people know where to be and when.

If you are hosting you will also need to figure out where people will stay near your place, is there a decent hotel nearby that everyone can stay at (Like the Radisson at the last meet).

Are you planning on providing food then charging entry or a bring your own (also important for booze, as there will be people that get hammered)

if people are bringing food then locations of grocery stores etc nearby will be very handy otherwise you'll have a load of empty-handed hungry people (and thats never good)

as far as food in places like Pasadena, if could be worth just enquiring about prices, just to see how much it is likely to be (just to get an idea)

"I have to ask you a question."
"What is it?"
"Its an inquisitive statement used to test knowledge, but thats not important right now.

Vigilante

I can cook a little if you have it at your place.

RedManThatCould

I can bring mounds of beer.

flshdncr
brkdncr
I want to hang out with all the boys ;)

i'm actually hoping for a better location. I'm not that close to the freeway, there aren't any decent hotels near by, and i'm not close to things like disney or universal. I'm kinda close to the gold line stop, maybe 5 minutes away, which can connect you to anywhere. I used to walk it every day, about 1.25 miles.

Food: I have grill and easy countertop and lots of seating. Grilling mounds of food would be easy and I wouldn't mind paying for it (donations accepted) Local people that want to bring their own stuff would be greatly appreciated. I'm a decent cook myself.

THere is a mexican groccery store not 4 blocks away, and two real supermarkets just up the street, so food items aren't a problem. There's a bunch of fast food joints around the area, maybe 3 or 4 walking distance.

Basically I'm trying to line up as the alternate if Sanjay doesn't go through with the big west coast meetup.

brkdncr - food/music/backyard hangout, s. pasadena
redmanthatcould - mounds of beer
Vigilante - can cook (on the grill? Dunno yet)

Items to plan:
Events (trip to Universal? (can be done by train)
trip to Hollywood bowl? (Also can be done by train)
Trip to long beach aquarium (Train)
Hollywood (train)
Soccer or clippers game? I'd see if I can get tickets. I sometimes have a hookup to a clippers suite.

Local hotels:
Anything downtown since it's near the train stops. There are a lot of cheap looking places. Scary, but fucking dirt cheap. Hotel Fig is probably the nicest of the cheap ones since it's not in a scary area.

Couch crashers:
I seriously can't take any. My place is pretty small and you'd have to be desperate.

Vigilante

I'm in studio city and have floor for 1-2 people...3 if youre hot. im a barbecue man...i could bring some seasoned meat/fish.

Shotgun Sally
pwned

This meet sounds like a disaster before it even started, better idea would be to get a suite in Vegas

Vigilante

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shotgun Sally View Post
This meet sounds like a disaster before it even started, better idea would be to get a suite in Vegas

because [m] vegas meets have a great history of going great

liquidkristal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigilante View Post
because [m] vegas meets have a great history of going great

there are also far more [M] folks in SoCal, so attendances are usually higher.

"What is it?"
"Its an inquisitive statement used to test knowledge, but thats not important right now.

[H]ard|On
tell me i is retarded and i will just potato

How is food and bars not fun? Are you not 21 or something?

I missed the last one because Jul 8th was my bday and no offense but I had other people I wanted to spend that day with.

If Squeeky goes again I'll def. go. Also I have a house and can host, it's a 4bdr and i have 2 roommates. No pool but a decent yard if it's something small... wouldn't even want to try anything close to hosting Sanjay caliber

liquidkristal

Ok, so I've had a look at what Pasadena (In Mappoint 2006), which end is considered downtown? (I assume the intersection of Fair Oaks and Colorado is pretty much down town)

I see there is a Hilton over near a convention center, what are prices like for that place, and maybe room rental (like at the Radisson, as its easier if people have a central place to be thats not your place if you are trying to set stuff up, get prepped for a party).

as far as things people are doing, I can't do anything with food apart from buy it from a local store and prep it / cook it (same goes for Liquor).

I don't mind cooking, so I will put my name forward for that.

I am more than happy to drive about with people on any trips etc (I see thats it easy to get to Santa Monica and other places that I've heard of), I'll just pickup an Expedition XL or whatever from the airport.

as far as bars / food, count me in, I'll be up for a bit of that

"What is it?"

[H]ard|On
tell me i is retarded and i will just potato

liquid spounds like the guy to have over

liquidkristal

ok, where are we upto with this.

Has a location been decided as time is marching on?

if it is going to be at the OP's place, does anyone have any experience with the Pasadena Convention Center, as I see that they do conference rooms, as that will make it easier to gather people together, or any nearby hotels with conference facilities (probably better as they will have pools etc)

As for bars I see that there is a Dave and Busters about 7 miles from the center of Pasadena, alternatively, there are a bunch of BJ Brewhouse locations within 10 miles of Pasadena (Burbank / Glendale / Arcadia / Montebello). I don;t know the names of any other decent places as I'm not exactly local round those parts, I am sure there will be other comparable places.

"What is it?"

Vigilante

so any updates? lets try not to let this die