General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Automotive [M]ayhem
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Klypr
Pittsburgh Poz

2006 Nissan Xterra Transmission Issue

I have a 2006 Nissan Xterra with 70k miles on it and the transmission started giving me some problems about 5-7k miles ago.

The best way to describe the issue is it feels like you're running over a rumble strip when the A/T shifts up. It usually only happens when traveling over 50mph but in a few rare cases I've felt it while going about 35mph. I think it only happens when overdrive is on but it's hard to tell since the tachometer is well over 4000RPM with OD off and going 50-60 on the highway. I checked the A/T fluid and the level is fine. It's a little dark but to the best of my knowledge, nothing out of the ordinary considering it's high mileage. It's not cloudy at all but I did notice a small piece of grit at the end of the dipstick the first time I pulled it out although, after multiple checks I did not see any more.

I was going to flush the tranny to see if that would help but I have never done that before and the dealer is asking $150. A little steep just to see if it would work. I do have the service manual and am sure I could do it correctly if enough people think it would fix the problem but my concern is that I would need a new torque converter which is something I definitely would not think I could do myself. Forking $150 for a flush and then probably another $500 for a new converter would seriously grind my gears (pun intended).

Another thing I noticed it doing is it seems like the engine brake does not always work correctly. Instead of staying in gear coasting down hill, it has downshifted a few times forcing the engine to redline. I can turn this off in the ECM but figured it may have something to do with the upshift problem and may help diagnose it. This has only just started happening recently.

So what do you think the issue is? Bad fluid? Bad torque converter? Something else?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

MazingHL

Warranty time?

Turbos are in my cars

Thermo1223

Ever change the fluid?
Range - GTFO god :rolleyes:

Klypr
Pittsburgh Poz

Quote:
Originally Posted by MazingHL View Post
Warranty time?
5 year - 60,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermo1223 View Post
Ever change the fluid?

As I said in my OP, no but I do have the service manual and could probably do it.

flshdncr
brkdncr
I want to hang out with all the boys ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klypr View Post
5 year - 60,000

As I said in my OP, no but I do have the service manual and could probably do it.

I've always been told that if you've never changed the fluid in an auto, changing it way beyond will end up with the thing failing completely.

MazingHL

Why not changing the fluid on schedule like it recommends on the owner manual?

Turbos are in my cars

Thermo1223

Quote:
5 year - 60,000

Well than you have yourself to blame, if you bothered reading the owners manual it would have said to change it at least 20,000 miles prior.

http://www.nissanusa.com/pdf/techpub...2008_N_SMG.pdf

Hell every 30k miles for good measure, you now have damaged the transmission due to lack of maintenance. Change the fluid NOW and hope for the best.

Thermo1223

Quote:
Originally Posted by brkdncr View Post
I've always been told that if you've never changed the fluid in an auto, changing it way beyond will end up with the thing failing completely.

The transmission will fail regardless if it is in that much disrepair. That is an old wife's tale anyway.

If does fail, Nissan had absolutely nothing to do with it.

drx
Kruz3n

Quote:
Well than you have yourself to blame, if you bothered reading the owners manual it would have said to change it at least 20,000 miles prior.

http://www.nissanusa.com/pdf/techpub...2008_N_SMG.pdf

Hell every 30k miles for good measure, you now have damaged the transmission due to lack of maintenance. Change the fluid NOW and hope for the best.

You're such a douche. Do you have anything to offer or do you just get off on bad-mouthing people?

I don't see where it says you are required to change automatic transmission fluid every 30,000 miles.

It says:

Quote:
Visually inspect for signs of leakage at
specified intervals. If towing a trailer,
using a camper or car–top carrier, or
driving on rough or muddy roads, replace
the fluid/oil every 30,000 miles or 24
months
Only under "Premium Maintenance" (read: we want more of your money maintenance) does it list changing automatic transmission fluid. It only says to inspect it under schedule 1 and 2, and change it if you tow.

It also specifically states that premium maintenance is not required to maintain your warranty.

Now, as I said, do you have any advice to actually offer to help solve the problem? No? Then gtfo.

Thermo1223

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kruz3n View Post
You're such a douche. Do you have anything to offer or do you just get off on bad-mouthing people?

I don't see where it says you are required to change automatic transmission fluid every 30,000 miles.

It says:

Only under "Premium Maintenance" (read: we want more of your money maintenance) does it list changing automatic transmission fluid. It only says to inspect it under schedule 1 and 2, and change it if you tow.

It also specifically states that premium maintenance is not required to maintain your warranty.

Now, as I said, do you have any advice to actually offer to help solve the problem? No? Then gtfo.

Listen Captain McObviousTroll,

Anyone who expects a fluid to last forever and doesn't change it or bother to read the owners manual to see if they fall under Severe Service deserves EXACTLY whats coming to them.

The least he could have done was ask a mechanic at the Nissan dealer especially since like Toyota & VW they only allow use of their specific fluid.

Now it really doesn't matter since he is out of warranty but if he hopes of it lasting any longer he needs to change the fluid NOW.

That is problem(hopefully the only one), he caused it, now you can stfu and gtfo.

drx
Kruz3n

Quote:

Anyone who expects a fluid to last forever and doesn't change it or bother to read the owners manual to see if they fall under Severe Service deserves EXACTLY whats coming to them.

The least he could have done was ask a mechanic at the Nissan dealer especially since like Toyota & VW they only allow use of their specific fluid.

Now it really doesn't matter since he is out of warranty but if he hopes of it lasting any longer he needs to change the fluid NOW.

That is problem(hopefully the only one), he caused it, now you can stfu and gtfo.

So how exactly are you determining that the lack of a fluid change is causing the problem? And how do you know about the OPs driving habits? Oh, that's right, you don't. In fact you have no fucking clue about anything.

You post shit like "if you would have bothered to read this or do that" instead of help with the problem. You're the fucking troll.

Klypr
Pittsburgh Poz

Quote:

Thank you for all of your insightful information. Also, thanks for ignoring to read the very manual you posted.

As Kruz3n stated above, only the "Premium Maintenance Schedule" suggests replacing the A/T fluid at 30k. It says to replace the fluid for the typical maintenance schedule at 30k if towing, which I have never done with this vehicle. In fact, I only just installed a hitch on it last Sunday. You must have ignored the part in my OP where I said the ATF appeared to be ok. It's a little darker than brand new fluid but that should only be expected considering it has 70k miles on it. I didn't say so in my OP, but blotting the fluid on a towel revealed it still is red in color and not brown. It also doesn't smell burned at all. I figured I wouldn't need to say that since my OP wasn't "zOMGS!! MY TRANSMISION IS BROKED!! HELP!!!" .

The reason I posted this thread is to get some insight on where I should take it from here, not to get trolled by a "holier than thou" jerk off. If a tranny flush will correct the problem, then suggesting it would make you look a lot more intelligent than telling me I "deserve what I get".

Also, suggesting that I "didn't bother reading my manual" and assuming I have no idea how to maintain a vehicle by reading a 3 paragraph post on the internet makes you look like a pompous ass.

Thermo1223

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kruz3n View Post
So how exactly are you determining that the lack of a fluid change is causing the problem? And how do you know about the OPs driving habits? Oh, that's right, you don't. In fact you have no fucking clue about anything.

You post shit like "if you would have bothered to read this or do that" instead of help with the problem. You're the fucking troll.

OK so while you play that card...

Would you leave your engine oil in for 70k miles even if the owners manual didn't say it needed to be changed, just recommended it?

While I wait for the reply...

drx
Kruz3n

Quote:
OK so while you play that card...

Would you leave your engine oil in for 70k miles even if the owners manual didn't say it needed to be changed, just recommended it?

While I wait for the reply...

What does engine oil change intervals have to do with this thread?

Thermo1223

Quote:
Thank you for all of your insightful information. Also, thanks for ignoring to read the very manual you posted.

As Kruz3n stated above, only the "Premium Maintenance Schedule" suggests replacing the A/T fluid at 30k. It says to replace the fluid for the typical maintenance schedule at 30k if towing, which I have never done with this vehicle. In fact, I only just installed a hitch on it last Sunday. You must have ignored the part in my OP where I said the ATF appeared to be ok. It's a little darker than brand new fluid but that should only be expected considering it has 70k miles on it. I didn't say so in my OP, but blotting the fluid on a towel revealed it still is red in color and not brown. It also doesn't smell burned at all. I figured I wouldn't need to say that since my OP wasn't "zOMGS!! MY TRANSMISION IS BROKED!! HELP!!!" .

The reason I posted this thread is to get some insight on where I should take it from here, not to get trolled by a "holier than thou" jerk off. If a tranny flush will correct the problem, then suggesting it would make you look a lot more intelligent than telling me I "deserve what I get".

Also, suggesting that I "didn't bother reading my manual" and assuming I have no idea how to maintain a vehicle by reading a 3 paragraph post on the internet makes you look like a pompous ass.

I read it once but decided to read it again and it's even worse, they never recommend replacing it just inspection which means. Inspect fluid and once it's served it's useful life replace. So it is even worse than I thought.

Towing while severe is only half the trouble. If you live in a hilly or mountainous area, drive in the city, excessive speed on the highway, extreme heat or cold all effect fluid condition or wear. Simply smelling the fluid or seeing the color is not enough, it needs to be changed regularly, not when something breaks.

VW says their's never needs to changed with is utter BS and anyone who owns one knows it.

I'm not "holier than thou" but to me it is common sense to do it on any vehicle if not stated otherwise in the manual at the minimum every 50k miles. Sooner if you drive in the afore mentioned conditions.

If in stating that you knowingly didn't maintain it makes me look like a pompous ass than so be it. Whether it be from ignorance or stupidity matters little to me, I really don't care.

Hell you have a service manual so that alone should tell you more than the owners manual so again you should have known better.