General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Automotive [M]ayhem
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

josegarcias4
ExplicitSpirit

Scratching/grinding noise coming from brakes

I have a funny scratching/grinding noise comeing from my front (disc) brakes. I can only hear it when I let the car roll slowly and I apply the brakes. If I'm going faster, I cannot hear it at all. Also, it only comes up after driving for a bit. When I start the car in the morning, I can never make that noise...only after driving around does it come up.

It sort of sounds like something is scratching the rotor, but I am unsure of what it could be...

I did take it to the mechanic and he said he found nothing when he took it apart. I did mention that it was the driver's side front wheel, so he just looked at that one wheel.

Any ideas what it could be? My mechanic said that my calipers, rotors, pads, and the suspension seems fine...but the noise still comes up. My suspicion is that he never heard the noise, as he probably took it for a short drive, and the car didn't get the chance to show symptoms...

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

vinividivici
I know, I know, it's "veni," i get it.

You know that little metal tab on brake pads? It exists for no other reason but to make a noise like the one you're describing. Time for new pads and maybe rotors buddy.

DrifterX27

don't know what car you have, but for my sentra, when I was driving on a road course, I started to get that sound. My axle nut had backed off a little bit, which made my rotor rub against the caliper bracket. Tightened it back up and fixed it. Check to see if you have any play in the rotor by moving your steering wheel quickly left to right, if you see the rotor moving to touch something, then you have found your problem.

drx
Kruz3n

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinividivici View Post
You know that little metal tab on brake pads? It exists for no other reason but to make a noise like the one you're describing. Time for new pads and maybe rotors buddy.

Read. Comprehend. Post.

We need more information. What type of car, last time the brakes were done, who did them, your driving habits, etc.

josegarcias4
ExplicitSpirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kruz3n View Post
Read. Comprehend. Post.

We need more information. What type of car, last time the brakes were done, who did them, your driving habits, etc.

The car is a 2000 Mazda Protege. Last summer, all pads and shoes, as well as the front rotors were changed by a mechanic. The mechanic does not charge a lot of money (eg, the brake job cost $140...wtf?) so he may not be the most careful guy out there. He said "there is nothing wrong" and that the heat can make the caliper movement noisy. It isn't even hot up here (~20-25 degrees C), and the noise has to do with wheel rotation as well...

Most of my driving is highway driving to get to work...

I went out in an empty field yesterday to test it out. The noise itself only comes up after the car warms up. The noise is more of clicking and scratching that is consistent with the rotation of the wheel. It only comes up at very low speeds while lightly pressing the pedal.

It's hard to describe the noise. Take a small stone in put it in a jar and close the lid, turn the jar upside down. When the stone falls it makes sort of a *click* sounds. It's very similar to that, except you can hear something else scratching (I guess scratching the rotor).

I hope that was clear :S

Daishi
daishi daishi bo baishi banana fana fo faishi

From what you're describing, my guess would be that the rotor is ever so slightly warped. As things heat up, expand, and remove clearance, you're only getting that little bit of noise as the rotor just barely touches the pads as it goes by.