General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Everyday Life.
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Mr. Reynolds

Old beer safe to drink?

Ok, so I was at my grandfathers for dinner tonight enjoying the weather and a few beers. He has had a Chimay Premiere (red) in his fridge for as long as I can remember so I asked him about it and he then gave it to me. I have had all three of the Chimay beers before and have enjoyed them all and know that they are safe to cellar, he also doesn't drink beer so I didn't feel bad about taking it.
My question is that how long is it generally safe to cellar a beer?
The label on the bottle is different from any one I've seen before (I am assuming they changed the design over the past few years). And on the outside of the cork there is a stamp that reads 10-93 which I think is the date and I'm not sure if close to 16 years is pushing it.

Let me know what you think and thank you.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Tek

Safe? Yes. At 7% it will do well with some age but 16 years is pushing it. Probably past its prime. I would buy a fresh bottle and drink them together to see what the age did to it. Or send it to me and I'll drink it.

demosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek View Post
I would buy a fresh bottle and drink them together to see what the age did to it.

Do this and report back!

Yeah I'll second that its safe, though it'll probably have lost quite a bit of its taste.

Mr. Reynolds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek View Post
I would buy a fresh bottle and drink them together to see what the age did to it.

Yea that's a good idea, I will do that for sure. Although drinking two of those bad boys will get me feeling pretty good.

laz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Reynolds View Post
Yea that's a good idea, I will do that for sure. Although drinking two of those bad boys will get me feeling pretty good.

All the better! I'll look forward to reading a rather sloshy beer review! I'm sure some of the aged beer's alcohol will have broken down by now so it shouldn't be as strong as before.
I recall some guys finding a 600 year old cask of wine in some European castle and drinking it without any ill effect, but it was next to vinegar at that point.

Mr. Reynolds

Yea i'll have to swing by the store tomorrow to pick a bottle up, I will post what happens after , I just wasn't sure how bad this could have been. I didn't want to finish drinking this and have to run to the bathroom and be sick for two days.

Mr. Reynolds

I've been busy lately and finally got around to doing this. I'm not going to lie I was disappointed with the old one. Like you guys said it lost all its original flavor and just tasted like carbonated water with a splash of beer. Luckily I had the other to fall back on and a bottle of Dogfish Head Squall IPA i picked up with it. I did end up dumping most of the old one out cause it really was just not enjoyable.

GhEttOrAiD
<--- EVOM

I shotgunned a beer from 1985 on a dare

then the next time i visited I took a second 1985 beer along with some jack in a beer bong

good times

the concern of course is, and yes i researched this, is that the aluminum in the can leeches into the soda/beer and this can aggravate/cause Alzheimers later in life.

Not worth it.

Oh a bottle of chimay? Yeah that might be worth it.

LAZERGUNPEWPEW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Reynolds View Post
Ok, so I was at my grandfathers for dinner tonight enjoying the weather and a few beers. He has had a Chimay Premiere (red) in his fridge for as long as I can remember so I asked him about it and he then gave it to me. I have had all three of the Chimay beers before and have enjoyed them all and know that they are safe to cellar, he also doesn't drink beer so I didn't feel bad about taking it.
My question is that how long is it generally safe to cellar a beer?
The label on the bottle is different from any one I've seen before (I am assuming they changed the design over the past few years). And on the outside of the cork there is a stamp that reads 10-93 which I think is the date and I'm not sure if close to 16 years is pushing it.

Let me know what you think and thank you.

We gave a friend of mine a 15 or so year old can of beer for his 19th birthday and he puked it all over the place, and not because it was his first or hes a lightweight or anything. I don't think they keep all that well. The bar parking lot can attest to that.

Selj

my roommate had a mini keg of lowenbrau that he forgot/lost in our room over the summer, when we discovered it we were at first "awsome! beer!" but we ended up pouring it away as it had gone noticeably bad

Siegfried

Was it stored upright or on its side?

Another real good reason for not storing a beer on its side is that long exposure to the cork (especially non-taint treated natural cork) can impart cork flavours within the beer. The alcohol in beer draws out that mouldy/musty character of the cork and in fact can taint the beer. In our opinion this doesn't add any wanted complexity to the beer. Natural cork can also harbour certain fungal bacterias which are believed to create an off-flavour compound called 2,4,6, Trichloroanisole or simply TCA, which renders its victim lifeless and dull to the taste.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/101/store

Mr. Reynolds

When I grabbed it it was upright but who knows how it was stored before. but thanks for the info, if I ever decide to cellar some beers I will have to do that.

Menel

Depends... some "higher" quality beer for instance our locally brewed sweetwater is not pasteurized. The process where brewery's super heat it to kill off bacteria, thought to effect flavor. I think the safe shelf life of such beer is ~6months.

Generic, mainstream beers, might be safe for that long.

verticalization

Back in 2004 i did some work helping clean out a few storage garages worth of airline equipment, we found a bunch of those stewardess carts, and they were filled with a ton of old beer. they were all generic, bud, bud light, MGD, etc.. and they were all dated between 1999, and 2000...

I stocked up an drank them all with no problems, but like manel said, im sure it depends on the type.

Killer_B

After going through more than a couple of brewery tours, one tour in particular had the brewmaster (Two Brothers out in suburbs W of Chicago) mention that nothing that goes into their brews can harm you due to extended time past it's expiration date. I'd suppose that the lower ABV varities might be more susceptible to skunking or stale taste, the higher ABV ones' taste though might stand to actually improve with age, provided they're kept cool and out of direct sunlight.

Founding [M]ember of the FUCK EA Club.

Then the network comes back up. And then down again. Up... and down. It keeps going down like a Clinton intern.