General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > CompuGlobalHyperMegaNet
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Whitebread

Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 Controller Board

I'm fairly confident that the controller board on my Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 bit the dust for these following reasons:
  • The drive is not recognized upon POST or in an external enclosure
  • If the drive powers on at all, takes 5 to 6 seconds to spin up
  • The heads move and make typical HDD noises
  • The drive spins down after a minute or two, not being recognized by windows, GParted or a Ubuntu live CD

The data that is on the drive is not mission critical but, would be sorely missed if it is not recovered. Therefore, I'd like to attempt replacing the controller board as I assume such a action would cost big bucks if I were to send the drive into Seagate. As anyone done this with a Seagate drive before? And does anyone know where I can source a controller board? I could not find anything on ebay.

Thanks.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Whitebread

Also, I'm looking into the BSY error that this model is prone to, lets hope that's the issue.

Mr. Baz

Controller boards are going to vary among batches.

Your only feasible option is to send it off to a data recovery company.

Aseras

I do it all the time at work. Most of the labs where I work have chemicals that make the contacts corrode and eventually the cards go bad. Either from poor contact, or something fries when the resistance goes up. Swapping the card with one from a new drive works, at least long enough to get the data off. It helps if you have several of the exact same drive so you can use them for parts. The really important part is to make sure the cards are the same. Even with the same type of drive, the coard can change and it will cause the drive not too work.

Fiah
Sinds ik als transseksuele prostituee bezig ben, heb ik mezelf eindelijk leren accepteren. PM me voo

if the PCBs and controllers on it match, it's worth a try I guess

anomaly95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aseras View Post
... It helps if you have several of the exact same drive so you can use them for parts. The really important part is to make sure the cards are the same. Even with the same type of drive, the coard can change and it will cause the drive not too work.

Not only do you have to worry about hardware differences, but the firmware may be different as well. If a drive was made in Malaysia, and another in Taiwan, the firmware may be different even though the boards are the same. Same goes for the date that it was manufactured. Even a drive that was made a few weeks later (in the same plant) might have a different firmware. There might be enough differences where it may not work.

So, make sure the drives are fairly close in manufacture date and made in the same country.

I've posted this link waaay too many times:
http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=...view=playlists

anomaly95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Baz View Post
Your only feasible option is to send it off to a data recovery company.

That all depends on how much money you want to spend in sending it off or how much time and effort you spend on trying to recover it yourself.

Whitebread

I spoke to Seagate today and they agree that I have a drive afflicted by the BSY firmware issue. I was given a claim number to give to a Seagate subsidary for free data recovery.

The DIY fix involves reflashing the firmware to something that won't FUBAR the drive. Hopefully this works. I should get a new drive out of it also.