General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General Forums > Forum & Network
Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

InsanezX2

Quote:
Originally Posted by eramus View Post
where are the ads here? i havent seen an ad on the forums in a while. maybe admins dont see them, but im pretty sure registered users dont either

There's one big banner ad at the top of the page. not a big deal though.

When not logged in though there's an ad in the first post on a page, and a bunch of infolinks/intellitext or whatever all over the place. I don't know about other people, but I don't like that kind of crap all over the place and I'd be less likely to register on a site that's covered in ads. There's no way for potential new users to know that simply registering and logging in will get rid of them.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Kahnza
Screw you guys, I'm going home!

Quote:
oh noes we lost tom cruise and his clique. what ever will we do

if so many ppl left and never came back, why did yamneg fail so miserably so quickly? what was it 2 months before it shut down?

I was thinking of people like Eyecannon.

Kahnza

also sloths

Kahnza

There are SHITLOADS of good posters that don't post here anymore for one reason or another.

To think that this place is better off is ludicrous.

InsanezX2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahnza View Post
also sloths

I liked sloths. I think he came back with a dupe account not too long ago, but I'm not sure what happened with that.

MiniMee
pwned

Without me, this place would be nothing.

eramus
rm -rf /etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsanezX2 View Post
There's one big banner ad at the top of the page. not a big deal though.

When not logged in though there's an ad in the first post on a page, and a bunch of infolinks/intellitext or whatever all over the place. I don't know about other people, but I don't like that kind of crap all over the place and I'd be less likely to register on a site that's covered in ads. There's no way for potential new users to know that simply registering and logging in will get rid of them.
like i said, i wasnt absolutely sure for registered. i havent seen ads for years (even before i worked for CG) because i bought gold because i like this site even though i was a lurker

most ppl are desensitized to ads on the net -- unfortunately they are a bit expected and part of internet culture nowadays. we have learned to ignore them for the most part. i hardly even notice them on sites that i dont belong to.

i just viewed genmay as an unregistered and it seriously wasnt any worse than every other site on the net

eramus
rm -rf /etc

Quote:
I was thinking of people like Eyecannon.
im pretty sure he was gone long before m|22 left genmay. we trailed off years ago -- same for a lot of posters.

i still stick to the theory of users growing up, getting jobs, moving on and not having much time any more to sit around and until 5 am every night.

eramus
rm -rf /etc

Quote:
There are SHITLOADS of good posters that don't post here anymore for one reason or another.

To think that this place is better off is ludicrous.
oh i never said this place was better off. i really wish we could go back to the glory days. genmay was my biggest form of entertainment back then. why else would a lurker stick around for so long?

i just think its silly to think that you can attribute it all to m|22 leaving or sanjay spawning a legitimate business from crowdgather.

InsanezX2

Quote:
like i said, i wasnt absolutely sure for registered. i havent seen ads for years (even before i worked for CG) because i bought gold because i like this site even though i was a lurker

most ppl are desensitized to ads on the net -- unfortunately they are a bit expected and part of internet culture nowadays. we have learned to ignore them for the most part. i hardly even notice them on sites that i dont belong to.

i just viewed genmay as an unregistered and it seriously wasnt any worse than every other site on the net

I have no problem with banner ads or anything else that's separated from the actual content of the site, but anything that is placed within the stuff I'm trying to read or pops up in front of anything bug the hell out of me. The banner ads and such I'm used to seeing over the net, but the intellitext crap just pisses me off. I don't usually see that on the sites I visit, especially not on forums.

Kahnza

Quote:
im pretty sure he was gone long before m|22 left genmay. we trailed off years ago -- same for a lot of posters.

i still stick to the theory of users growing up, getting jobs, moving on and not having much time any more to sit around and until 5 am every night.

Thats a nice justification. But its nothing more than an assumption. This forum could return to its former greatness if we could only figure out the formula to do so.

eramus
rm -rf /etc

Quote:
I have no problem with banner ads or anything else that's separated from the actual content of the site, but anything that is placed within the stuff I'm trying to read or pops up in front of anything bug the hell out of me. The banner ads and such I'm used to seeing over the net, but the intellitext crap just pisses me off. I don't usually see that on the sites I visit, especially not on forums.
cant deny that. i dont like those ads either. noscript is always the first extension i install for firefox.

you see this stuff when logged in? i wasnt aware not much i can do if so

eramus
rm -rf /etc

Quote:
Thats a nice justification. But its nothing more than an assumption. This forum could return to its former greatness if we could only figure out the formula to do so.
i think its more than just an assumption. we can only about the same crap day in and day out. since there is not a main topic (we are offtopic after all) here, its difficult to keep it fresh. think of a way to get all of those ppl back and lets find out what made them leave in the first place. im all for that.

maybe sanjay should ban everyone. that way the main posters can spawn a new forum genmay2point0.com?

InsanezX2

Quote:
you see this stuff when logged in? i wasnt aware not much i can do if so

No, I only see the banner ad at the top when I'm logged in. I have no problem with that. (Even though I did prefer the old user made banners) I just brought it up because a site covered with tons of ads all over the place isn't very welcoming to potential new members.

eramus
rm -rf /etc

Quote:
No, I only see the banner ad at the top when I'm logged in. I have no problem with that. (Even though I did prefer the old user made banners) I just brought it up because a site covered with tons of ads all over the place isn't very welcoming to potential new members.
yah that can definitely be a bit uninviting