General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General Forums > Forum & Network
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Reply
 
Thread Tools
eramus
rm -rf /etc
 
personally i liked the idea of one big forum. that brought a bit of chaos and disorder back to this place
__________________
Proud member of the Gen[M]ay Stoner's Club.
[M] GNU/Linux crew
Old 11-18-2009, 12:06 AM eramus is offline  
Reply With Quote
#61  

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Zenja
 
Is it possible there's just not enough new visitors to the website to make up for the old members leaving?

Maybe people don't feel comfortable posting about stuff. This is a general discussion forum, not everything needs to be about funny epic stuff. It's about whatever is on people's minds. People won't post about it if they don't feel comfortable doing it. The other forums I go to, people are generally happy to discuss whatever and be somewhat mature about it. Maybe that's not exactly what genmay has always been about though.
Old 11-18-2009, 12:08 AM Zenja is offline  
Reply With Quote
#62  

MiniMee
pwned
 
What it look like lil whoodies?? If ya lookin for a job golfe ill hook you up with one ya heard? Ill put you on the corner so you can me some cash ye dug? I usually dont hire male hookers but since you one of my genmay ridahs ill give you the hook up fo sho.

Just make sure when your on the corner making my benjis you better be using that mouth good ye heard. Make sure you get all the marmalade up ye dug?
Old 11-18-2009, 12:09 AM MiniMee is offline  
Reply With Quote
#63  

Mixomatosys
Cool Kid
 
Mixomatosys's Avatar
 
we cannot breathe new life into genmay. it is a dimly lit candle in a dark abandoned house. slowly fading away into the everlasting night that is to come.

it used to be a bustling city full of colorful personalities, clever thread topics, and an overall sense of community. now it's more like a crack den full of nonsensical posts and an every man for themselves vibe.

it must die. we must let it die. we're delaying the inevitable.

but i can never seem to bring myself to take it off my favorites bar
__________________
red wire: right temple
black wire: left temple
Old 11-18-2009, 12:10 AM Mixomatosys is offline  
Reply With Quote
#64  

Golf(e)
 
Golf(e)'s Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniMee View Post
What it look like lil whoodies?? If ya lookin for a job golfe ill hook you up with one ya heard? Ill put you on the corner so you can me some cash ye dug? I usually dont hire male hookers but since you one of my genmay ridahs ill give you the hook up fo sho.

Just make sure when your on the corner making my benjis you better be using that mouth good ye heard. Make sure you get all the marmalade up ye dug?
whose dupe
__________________
And motion soared in every direction, causing a tidal wave of thought to crash dumbly through walls, and made passageways where previously was occupied by the stillness of mathematics in its purest manifestation of white reflection on white backdrop
Old 11-18-2009, 12:14 AM Golf(e) is offline  
Reply With Quote
#65  

mikeawesome
Baloneyflaps is my lord. I have asked him into my heart.
 
mikeawesome's Avatar
 
its because forums are dying and people are using other venues to communicate. front pages won't save it, roaming post won't save it, crowdgather is fail.
Old 11-18-2009, 12:14 AM mikeawesome is online now  
Reply With Quote
#66  

Golf(e)
 
Golf(e)'s Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixomatosys View Post
we cannot breathe new life into genmay. it is a dimly lit candle in a dark abandoned house. slowly fading away into the everlasting night that is to come.

it used to be a bustling city full of colorful personalities, clever thread topics, and an overall sense of community. now it's more like a crack den full of nonsensical posts and an every man for themselves vibe.

it must die. we must let it die. we're delaying the inevitable.

but i can never seem to bring myself to take it off my favorites bar
meh its just a forum

not like it used to be but people still post here and i enjoy myself so

:

meh
__________________
And motion soared in every direction, causing a tidal wave of thought to crash dumbly through walls, and made passageways where previously was occupied by the stillness of mathematics in its purest manifestation of white reflection on white backdrop
Old 11-18-2009, 12:16 AM Golf(e) is offline  
Reply With Quote
#67  

Fiah
Sinds ik als transseksuele prostituee bezig ben, heb ik mezelf eindelijk leren accepteren. PM me voo
 
Fiah's Avatar
 
I wouldn't say it's because that forums per say are dying.

As for Genmay, you could pretty accurately say all had failed when fucking red cards and yellow cards were introduced. I mean, come on are we in elementary school or what? Just ban the fuckstick for a few hours, a few days or a few weeks. You know when the KC used to be entertaining? That was Genmay in its prime.
Old 11-18-2009, 12:20 AM Fiah is offline  
Reply With Quote
#68  

Mixomatosys
Cool Kid
 
Mixomatosys's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golf(e) View Post
meh its just a forum

not like it used to be but people still post here and i enjoy myself so

:

meh























meh
__________________
red wire: right temple
black wire: left temple
Old 11-18-2009, 12:20 AM Mixomatosys is offline  
Reply With Quote
#69  

Golf(e)
 
Golf(e)'s Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixomatosys View Post
meh
I'm acting counselor pro tempore and you have to do everything i say
__________________
And motion soared in every direction, causing a tidal wave of thought to crash dumbly through walls, and made passageways where previously was occupied by the stillness of mathematics in its purest manifestation of white reflection on white backdrop
Old 11-18-2009, 12:26 AM Golf(e) is offline  
Reply With Quote
#70  

DigitalChaos
 
Real answer?

Look at how this place started. The only people who were going to sign up here are the ones who were fairly active and really wanted to be here. There was no official redirect, it was all done mostly via word of mouth. BOOM HEALTHY COMMUNITY right off the bat. This crowd was, on average, very active and had large amounts of contribution and content. We were the geeks who would share cool new projects we were working on or had tons of knowledge. That was what the [H] promoted in many of us but we also wanted that "general forum" for just socializing and being crazy. Basically, we had a crazy high level of really good members.

Over time this group aged. People grew up and moved on in life. Genmay filled a need (mostly entertainment based) in their life that they no longer want/need. Yes, this would be that downward trend.

How have we been getting new blood to replace the people who leave? Well at the very beginning a lot of the word of mouth spread well beyond the [H] members and into IRL friendships. Some of these people were similar in nature but some were more "consumers." By that I mean that they came here to consume the content of genmay and come along for the ride. The "consumer" user type would generally participate through lower quality contribution. You would get the shit comments and gimmicks but it wouldn't come with the high quality contributions that the original krew demonstrated a great balance of.

Over time the balance kept shifting in this direction. We are now left with a ton of the low contribution users who bitch because nobody is providing them with more high quality content... and they sure as hell aren't going to try and fix it.

[H] promoted the high quality contributions as the primary and the crazy "mayhem" secondarily. There was a very awesome balance between the two but [H] was a little too nazi and just cut it off. Genmay formed with the mayhem being first priority. It was pretty obvious that this awesome balance would soon burn away





Outside of that there are some little things that contribute. Some things like subforums just create the illusion of reduced activity... many of the cliques are the primary ones who bitch about reduced activity when it is really just their clique fading away. etc etc etc
Old 11-18-2009, 12:28 AM DigitalChaos is offline  
Reply With Quote
#71  

Regime|Life
The Silver Arrow
 
Regime|Life's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalChaos View Post
Real answer?

Look at how this place started. The only people who were going to sign up here are the ones who were fairly active and really wanted to be here. There was no official redirect, it was all done mostly via word of mouth. BOOM HEALTHY COMMUNITY right off the bat. This crowd was, on average, very active and had large amounts of contribution and content. We were the geeks who would share cool new projects we were working on or had tons of knowledge. That was what the [H] promoted in many of us but we also wanted that "general forum" for just socializing and being crazy. Basically, we had a crazy high level of really good members.

Over time this group aged. People grew up and moved on in life. Genmay filled a need (mostly entertainment based) in their life that they no longer want/need. Yes, this would be that downward trend.

How have we been getting new blood to replace the people who leave? Well at the very beginning a lot of the word of mouth spread well beyond the [H] members and into IRL friendships. Some of these people were similar in nature but some were more "consumers." By that I mean that they came here to consume the content of genmay and come along for the ride. The "consumer" user type would generally participate through lower quality contribution. You would get the shit comments and gimmicks but it wouldn't come with the high quality contributions that the original krew demonstrated a great balance of.

Over time the balance kept shifting in this direction. We are now left with a ton of the low contribution users who bitch because nobody is providing them with more high quality content... and they sure as hell aren't going to try and fix it.

[H] promoted the high quality contributions as the primary and the crazy "mayhem" secondarily. There was a very awesome balance between the two but [H] was a little too nazi and just cut it off. Genmay formed with the mayhem being first priority. It was pretty obvious that this awesome balance would soon burn away





Outside of that there are some little things that contribute. Some things like subforums just create the illusion of reduced activity... many of the cliques are the primary ones who bitch about reduced activity when it is really just their clique fading away. etc etc etc

Been reading [H] about computer shit lately mostly and I have to say, the quality of threads and the posts are pretty amazing over there.
__________________
Mercedes-Benz Addict
Member of the Gen[M]ay Polska Club
Nikon DSLR Club - D70, D300
Old 11-18-2009, 12:30 AM Regime|Life is offline  
Reply With Quote
#72  

DigitalChaos
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by eramus View Post
personally i liked the idea of one big forum. that brought a bit of chaos and disorder back to this place
Is how i run it all the time. Forum really isn't that dead as a whole...
Old 11-18-2009, 12:31 AM DigitalChaos is offline  
Reply With Quote
#73  

Golf(e)
 
Golf(e)'s Avatar
 
I'm not sure what people are really expecting when they say content. Like crab fucking threads and other drama like that? I mean i guess that kind of shit would be cool once in a while, but i come to this forum just to... ya know, Bullshit. Talk about shit thats on my mind, shit thats going on, maybe have a debate every now and then, whatever. I mean... thats content to me. Just... talking. Its a forum. And a lot of the time genmay provides that exactly the way i want it. So its fine.

My only complaint is that this place is dead half the time. When it isnt dead, its fine. But.... it usually is dead.
__________________
And motion soared in every direction, causing a tidal wave of thought to crash dumbly through walls, and made passageways where previously was occupied by the stillness of mathematics in its purest manifestation of white reflection on white backdrop
Old 11-18-2009, 12:37 AM Golf(e) is offline  
Reply With Quote
#74  

eramus
rm -rf /etc
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalChaos View Post
Is how i run it all the time. Forum really isn't that dead as a whole...
it does look a lot more active when viewed like this.
__________________
Proud member of the Gen[M]ay Stoner's Club.
[M] GNU/Linux crew
Old 11-18-2009, 12:38 AM eramus is offline  
Reply With Quote
#75  

Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:15 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.