General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General Forums > Forum & Network
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

eramus
rm -rf /etc

personally i liked the idea of one big forum. that brought a bit of chaos and disorder back to this place

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Zenja

Is it possible there's just not enough new visitors to the website to make up for the old members leaving?

Maybe people don't feel comfortable posting about stuff. This is a general discussion forum, not everything needs to be about funny epic stuff. It's about whatever is on people's minds. People won't post about it if they don't feel comfortable doing it. The other forums I go to, people are generally happy to discuss whatever and be somewhat mature about it. Maybe that's not exactly what genmay has always been about though.

MiniMee
pwned

What it look like lil whoodies?? If ya lookin for a job golfe ill hook you up with one ya heard? Ill put you on the corner so you can me some cash ye dug? I usually dont hire male hookers but since you one of my genmay ridahs ill give you the hook up fo sho.

Just make sure when your on the corner making my benjis you better be using that mouth good ye heard. Make sure you get all the marmalade up ye dug?

Mixomatosys
Cool Kid

we cannot breathe new life into genmay. it is a dimly lit candle in a dark abandoned house. slowly fading away into the everlasting night that is to come.

it used to be a bustling city full of colorful personalities, clever thread topics, and an overall sense of community. now it's more like a crack den full of nonsensical posts and an every man for themselves vibe.

it must die. we must let it die. we're delaying the inevitable.

but i can never seem to bring myself to take it off my favorites bar

Golf(e)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniMee View Post
What it look like lil whoodies?? If ya lookin for a job golfe ill hook you up with one ya heard? Ill put you on the corner so you can me some cash ye dug? I usually dont hire male hookers but since you one of my genmay ridahs ill give you the hook up fo sho.

Just make sure when your on the corner making my benjis you better be using that mouth good ye heard. Make sure you get all the marmalade up ye dug?
whose dupe
And motion soared in every direction, causing a tidal wave of thought to crash dumbly through walls, and made passageways where previously was occupied by the stillness of mathematics in its purest manifestation of white reflection on white backdrop

mikeawesome
Baloneyflaps is my lord. I have asked him into my heart.

its because forums are dying and people are using other venues to communicate. front pages won't save it, roaming post won't save it, crowdgather is fail.

Golf(e)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixomatosys View Post
we cannot breathe new life into genmay. it is a dimly lit candle in a dark abandoned house. slowly fading away into the everlasting night that is to come.

it used to be a bustling city full of colorful personalities, clever thread topics, and an overall sense of community. now it's more like a crack den full of nonsensical posts and an every man for themselves vibe.

it must die. we must let it die. we're delaying the inevitable.

but i can never seem to bring myself to take it off my favorites bar
meh its just a forum

not like it used to be but people still post here and i enjoy myself so

:

meh
And motion soared in every direction, causing a tidal wave of thought to crash dumbly through walls, and made passageways where previously was occupied by the stillness of mathematics in its purest manifestation of white reflection on white backdrop

Fiah
Sinds ik als transseksuele prostituee bezig ben, heb ik mezelf eindelijk leren accepteren. PM me voo

I wouldn't say it's because that forums per say are dying.

As for Genmay, you could pretty accurately say all had failed when fucking red cards and yellow cards were introduced. I mean, come on are we in elementary school or what? Just ban the fuckstick for a few hours, a few days or a few weeks. You know when the KC used to be entertaining? That was Genmay in its prime.

Mixomatosys
Cool Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golf(e) View Post
meh its just a forum

not like it used to be but people still post here and i enjoy myself so

:

meh

meh

Golf(e)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixomatosys View Post
meh
I'm acting counselor pro tempore and you have to do everything i say

DigitalChaos

Real answer?

Look at how this place started. The only people who were going to sign up here are the ones who were fairly active and really wanted to be here. There was no official redirect, it was all done mostly via word of mouth. BOOM HEALTHY COMMUNITY right off the bat. This crowd was, on average, very active and had large amounts of contribution and content. We were the geeks who would share cool new projects we were working on or had tons of knowledge. That was what the [H] promoted in many of us but we also wanted that "general forum" for just socializing and being crazy. Basically, we had a crazy high level of really good members.

Over time this group aged. People grew up and moved on in life. Genmay filled a need (mostly entertainment based) in their life that they no longer want/need. Yes, this would be that downward trend.

How have we been getting new blood to replace the people who leave? Well at the very beginning a lot of the word of mouth spread well beyond the [H] members and into IRL friendships. Some of these people were similar in nature but some were more "consumers." By that I mean that they came here to consume the content of genmay and come along for the ride. The "consumer" user type would generally participate through lower quality contribution. You would get the shit comments and gimmicks but it wouldn't come with the high quality contributions that the original krew demonstrated a great balance of.

Over time the balance kept shifting in this direction. We are now left with a ton of the low contribution users who bitch because nobody is providing them with more high quality content... and they sure as hell aren't going to try and fix it.

[H] promoted the high quality contributions as the primary and the crazy "mayhem" secondarily. There was a very awesome balance between the two but [H] was a little too nazi and just cut it off. Genmay formed with the mayhem being first priority. It was pretty obvious that this awesome balance would soon burn away

Outside of that there are some little things that contribute. Some things like subforums just create the illusion of reduced activity... many of the cliques are the primary ones who bitch about reduced activity when it is really just their clique fading away. etc etc etc

Regime|Life
The Silver Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalChaos View Post
Real answer?

Look at how this place started. The only people who were going to sign up here are the ones who were fairly active and really wanted to be here. There was no official redirect, it was all done mostly via word of mouth. BOOM HEALTHY COMMUNITY right off the bat. This crowd was, on average, very active and had large amounts of contribution and content. We were the geeks who would share cool new projects we were working on or had tons of knowledge. That was what the [H] promoted in many of us but we also wanted that "general forum" for just socializing and being crazy. Basically, we had a crazy high level of really good members.

Over time this group aged. People grew up and moved on in life. Genmay filled a need (mostly entertainment based) in their life that they no longer want/need. Yes, this would be that downward trend.

How have we been getting new blood to replace the people who leave? Well at the very beginning a lot of the word of mouth spread well beyond the [H] members and into IRL friendships. Some of these people were similar in nature but some were more "consumers." By that I mean that they came here to consume the content of genmay and come along for the ride. The "consumer" user type would generally participate through lower quality contribution. You would get the shit comments and gimmicks but it wouldn't come with the high quality contributions that the original krew demonstrated a great balance of.

Over time the balance kept shifting in this direction. We are now left with a ton of the low contribution users who bitch because nobody is providing them with more high quality content... and they sure as hell aren't going to try and fix it.

[H] promoted the high quality contributions as the primary and the crazy "mayhem" secondarily. There was a very awesome balance between the two but [H] was a little too nazi and just cut it off. Genmay formed with the mayhem being first priority. It was pretty obvious that this awesome balance would soon burn away

Outside of that there are some little things that contribute. Some things like subforums just create the illusion of reduced activity... many of the cliques are the primary ones who bitch about reduced activity when it is really just their clique fading away. etc etc etc

Been reading [H] about computer shit lately mostly and I have to say, the quality of threads and the posts are pretty amazing over there.

DigitalChaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by eramus View Post
personally i liked the idea of one big forum. that brought a bit of chaos and disorder back to this place
Is how i run it all the time. Forum really isn't that dead as a whole...

Golf(e)

I'm not sure what people are really expecting when they say content. Like crab fucking threads and other drama like that? I mean i guess that kind of shit would be cool once in a while, but i come to this forum just to... ya know, Bullshit. Talk about shit thats on my mind, shit thats going on, maybe have a debate every now and then, whatever. I mean... thats content to me. Just... talking. Its a forum. And a lot of the time genmay provides that exactly the way i want it. So its fine.

My only complaint is that this place is dead half the time. When it isnt dead, its fine. But.... it usually is dead.

eramus
rm -rf /etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalChaos View Post
Is how i run it all the time. Forum really isn't that dead as a whole...
it does look a lot more active when viewed like this.