General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Automotive [M]ayhem
Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Briandl79

Do shark fin antennas improve satellite reception?

I just realized that a lot of shark fin antennas are actually for AM/FM reception? Do they make shark fin antennas for satellite radio, and if so do they help reception in any way?

A friend of mine was telling me that the design helps with satellite cutout under overpasses, but I always thought satellite was very line of sight.

Any thoughts?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

ritalinjoe

My Tahoe has a shark fin antenna for Satellite radio and Onstar/GPS. The AM/FM antenna is laid out on a grid on the passenger side rear cargo area window. It looks kind of like the defroster grid on rear windows.

I've never noticed the XM/Sirius cut out under overpasses, but it does cut out on sections of I-64 towards Charlottesville, VA because the trees lining the highway are so tall.

But my subscription ran out a while ago so I don't use it anyways. Aux input with ipod is all I need.

DopefishLives
The Artist Formerly Known As StratocasterMaster, I was so [H]ard Kyle could feel it in Texas and got

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briandl79 View Post
I just realized that a lot of shark fin antennas are actually for AM/FM reception?

Who the hell told you that?

In the scenario of Audi the AM/FM is maintained through a conductive material on the rear glass (quarter-rear glass in Avants). When the shark fin is fitted, it is used for AM/FM as well, along with satellite radio and GPS reception.

Indifferent to manufacturer, the shark fin/submarine style antennas came about as a stylish way to solve the increasing demand for wireless signal reception. Satellite radio used small devices like the shark fin and companies picked it up (I think BMW was first) and integrated it, both appearance and function with the whole car.

Rancidpunk666

most am/fm is in the rear glass grids, the radio can pick pick the best of 3 or 4 antennas for reception depending on steering angle, etc.
.......v
Grandpa Motors (GM) pussrods and leafsprings

SemperFly

they do it because it looks nicer than a stubby piece of plastic sticking straight up

Liquid_Table
Waiting for that fateful day of bannage, c'mon Kyle be a man and push the button you big fairy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DopefishLives View Post
In the scenario of Audi the AM/FM is maintained through a conductive material on the rear glass (quarter-rear glass in Avants). When the shark fin is fitted, it is used for AM/FM as well, along with satellite radio and GPS reception.

Is that how they do it? I always wondered where my antennas were because my A6 gets excellent reception.

BullshitBad

Pontiac was the first to put antennas in the windshield in the late 60's, and only just now are some of the other manufacturers catching on. technology marches on i guess

Tex Arcana
I am a mean disrespectful person hiding anonymously and need an attitude adjustment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullshitBad View Post
Pontiac was the first to put antennas in the windshield in the late 60's, and only just now are some of the other manufacturers catching on. technology marches on i guess
Some of those antennas don't work well at all, especially if the glass has the metallic heat-reflective material built into the glass, and the connections between the glass and the wiring didn't hold up too well, so that may be why they went away from them.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call destiny.
--John Hobbs

~~~ ~~~ Tea[m] Pyratex ~~~ ~~~

jayjaya29

I got a 2000 Nissan Altima which has AM/FM antenna in the rear glass along with the heating elements, I have never had a problem with reception EVER and I listen to a lot of radio...I don't know why its not done on more cars.

In anycase, my friend with a 2002 Passat switched his stubby, roof mounted antenna to an aftermarket "shark fin", his reception still sucks lol it is constantly skipping in and out at any speed.

Thermo1223

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayjaya29 View Post
I got a 2000 Nissan Altima which has AM/FM antenna in the rear glass along with the heating elements, I have never had a problem with reception EVER and I listen to a lot of radio...I don't know why its not done on more cars.

In anycase, my friend with a 2002 Passat switched his stubby, roof mounted antenna to an aftermarket "shark fin", his reception still sucks lol it is constantly skipping in and out at any speed.

He should check the amp in the antenna under the headliner then.
Range - GTFO god :rolleyes:

RazorWind

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullshitBad View Post

Uhh, Volvo had that feature in the 1970s, I'm pretty sure.

Edit: I have a 1995 model Ford that has it too.

Thermo1223

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazorWind View Post

Edit: I have a 1995 model Ford that has it too.

Ya well my mom had it back in the 1950's so there!
Range - GTFO god :rolleyes:

ritalinjoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazorWind View Post

Just like the sweeds to play catch up to US auto manufactures.

chuckybob
Mario raped Peach in her fuzzy spot while twisting and twirling his mustache sexylike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermo1223 View Post
Ya well my mom had it back in the 1950's so there!

OH YEAH WELL I INVENTED IT

Tex Arcana
I am a mean disrespectful person hiding anonymously and need an attitude adjustment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckybob View Post
OH YEAH WELL I INVENTED IT

unpossible, yuo ar teh 4.2

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call destiny.
--John Hobbs

~~~ ~~~ Tea[m] Pyratex ~~~ ~~~