General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > CompuGlobalHyperMegaNet
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

g|aSsJaw
NEW YORK GIANTS SUPERBOWL CHAMPS, ELI MANNING SUPERBOWL 42 MVP

Best HDTV for Xbox 360

Looking to buy an HDTV for my room in the 40" range (maybe 46"-47"), and wasn't really sure what to get.

I was told that it is best to game in 720p, but to make sure that the tv is also 1080i capable, or even 1080p. Is this accurate?

Is LCD better for gaming than Plasma? My dad showed me this plasma, because you can get it in about the mid $800 range if you shop around, but I wasn't sure how good it was or if plasma was okay for gaming: http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-VIER.../dp/B001UAB40E

Is response time much of an issue? I was told to look for something with 12ms or better.

Would I need to get the Xbox 360 HDMI cable, or would the HD cables that come with it be sufficient?

Any info would be great. Thanks!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Zangmonkey
3y3 4m t3h Gr4et gr4nD m0th4rfUxing mor4n! W4t<h //\y b33f kur+4nz F|4p!!# 4y4m 1e37!

it's best to game in 1080p (I think you are mistakenly thinking of the 720p versus 1080i debate) You need a TV that is 1080p native.

You need an HDMI cable to do 1080p, anything else can be done with component cables (but why would you?)

I'm really not sure I understand your question here.

What is your budget?
What is the room like?

g|aSsJaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zangmonkey View Post
it's best to game in 1080p (I think you are mistakenly thinking of the 720p versus 1080i debate) You need a TV that is 1080p native.

You need an HDMI cable to do 1080p, anything else can be done with component cables (but why would you?)

I'm really not sure I understand your question here.

What is your budget?
What is the room like?

I like the mid 800 range if I can get something really nice, but it seems like I'll likely be spending closer to $1000-$1300 realistically. It's my bedroom and I'll use it to watch tv, movies, and play xbox 360. If I get one, I'll probably upgrade to a HD receiver for my Dish network as well. The xbox comes with that cable that has the HD cables and the switch on the back to switch between standard and HD, but I guess that gets replaced with an HDMI cable, is that correct? The xbox HDMI sells for like $50.

I was really just trying to figure out if what I had been told was accurate (like the 720p thing, the response time, etc.), and if there was a really great model in that price range/size.

Last edited by g|aSsJaw; 03-31-2010 at 04:45 PM..

brunobell

Quote:
Originally Posted by g|aSsJaw View Post
I like the mid 800 range if I can get something really nice, but it seems like I'll likely be spending closer to $1000-$1300 realistically. It's my bedroom and I'll use it to watch tv, movies, and play xbox 360. If I get one, I'll probably upgrade to a HD receiver for my Dish network as well. The xbox comes with that cable that has the HD cables and the switch on the back to switch between standard and HD, but I guess that gets replaced with an HDMI cable, is that correct? The xbox HDMI sells for like $50.

I was really just trying to figure out if what I had been told was accurate (like the 720p thing, the response time, etc.), and if there was a really great model in that price range/size.

ya, and for the love of god. dont buy cables from microsoft. www.monoprice.com

HDMI CABLE is probably your best bet.

mikelangelo11

I would go plasma so long as you don't have a window behind your seating -- glare can be an issue. The xbox renders games at 720p or lower and upscales them. I would get a 1080p monitor so that when you decide to hook your pc up to it (or built your htpc later) it will run at a much nicer browsing resolution. That being said if you are getting a 40-47 and sitting farther than 8ft or so away it won't matter.

Ralph

If you're buying it for Xbox 360 then it's all about input lag, in my opinion, which is evidenced by the fact that a "Game Mode" is programmed into every new HDTV (the actual name of the mode varies by brand). If you don't want your head to explode as you try to understand all the nonsense involved with HDTVs these days, just post your thread on AVS forum and pray they give some suggestions instead of responding like Genmayers. Oh, and don't forget to stop reading the thread once they start saying your new HDTV really really REALLY needs a professional calibration that costs almost as much as another TV

Regarding your questions: The native resolution of almost every Xbox 360 game would match a 720p TV, but it upscales to 1080p if that's what your TV is. Sorry to add to the confusion, but I have no idea what that means in terms of picture quality . LCD vs. Plasma makes no difference these days, there are good and bad in both categories and the issues that used to be a factor are long gone (plasmas used to have burn-in problems). Lower response time is always better. Any HD cable will work, which is a miracle for the Xbox... I can only guess Microsoft ran out of time to invent a new HD port while trying to get it on the market before the PS3

If you still have some masochistic desire to wade through all the on your own, here's some copy pasta about input lag I always have handy when people ask about TVs on gaming forums. I was shopping for a TV 2 years ago and learned a little before realizing what I was getting into...

The whole purpose of Game Mode on HDTVs is to minimize input lag, but some still don't do it well. An LCD, LED or Plasma in any price range can all have input lag of up to 150ms and it works exactly like a ping in an online game. If your TV has 80ms input lag (pretty average) you will notice a delay in your actions when playing something like a first-person shooter. Add that 80ms to your ping online and you could be looking at a pretty significant handicap. Even people who aren't "hardcore" gamers will notice it if they've recently played on something with no input lag (like an old tube TV or a decent computer rig). RPGs don't require split-second reactions so you don't need to worry about input lag if that's all you play. Also, Guitar Hero and Rockband require quick reactions but both have an option allowing you to calibrate them for any lag you might have. No first-person shooter has such an option because it can't predict what you're going to do next and events are dependent upon your actions -- music games tell you exactly what to do next, and the upcoming notes aren't affected by hitting / missing the ones before them.

I'd say a good TV for gaming will have ~15ms input lag when set to its "Game Mode." It's possible to get 0ms input lag if you connect your Xbox 360 with a VGA cable rather than a standard HD cable, which tricks the TV into thinking you have a computer attached. Sometimes you have to manually name the VGA input to "PC" via the menu in order to get this effect, another thing that varies by brand. Why this works the way it does is beyond me, but it's actually true... *head explodes*

Picture quality suffers in "Game Mode" no matter how good or expensive the TV is, because all that mode really does is cut out the nifty features that make everything look crisp and shiny (Something like Cinema Mode would have them all enabled since timing is irrelevant for movies). Those refinements take time for the TV to apply, thus the delay between when you put something in and when you actually see it displayed. Auto Motion Plus? Input lag. Dynamic Tehcnotronic Fluidity? Input lag. Super Mega Color Enhancer? Input lag. 256 bit Gigamorphic Sharpalizer? Input lag. Obviously I'm pulling names out of my ass, but every brand has a different term for "shit that makes it look better" and they all add to the total processing time before each frame is displayed, AKA input lag. You also lose manual control of most settings when you activate Game Mode, the only option left for you to adjust is usually something like brightness.

Cliffs:
http://www.amazon.com/Paradox-Choice...0136864&sr=8-1

wilse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
If you're buying it for Xbox 360 then it's all about input lag, in my opinion, which is evidenced by the fact that a "Game Mode" is programmed into every new HDTV (the actual name of the mode varies by brand). If you don't want your head to explode as you try to understand all the nonsense involved with HDTVs these days, just post your thread on AVS forum and pray they give some suggestions instead of responding like Genmayers. Oh, and don't forget to stop reading the thread once they start saying your new HDTV really really REALLY needs a professional calibration that costs almost as much as another TV

Regarding your questions: The native resolution of almost every Xbox 360 game would match a 720p TV, but it upscales to 1080p if that's what your TV is. Sorry to add to the confusion, but I have no idea what that means in terms of picture quality . LCD vs. Plasma makes no difference these days, there are good and bad in both categories and the issues that used to be a factor are long gone (plasmas used to have burn-in problems). Lower response time is always better. Any HD cable will work, which is a miracle for the Xbox... I can only guess Microsoft ran out of time to invent a new HD port while trying to get it on the market before the PS3

If you still have some masochistic desire to wade through all the on your own, here's some copy pasta about input lag I always have handy when people ask about TVs on gaming forums. I was shopping for a TV 2 years ago and learned a little before realizing what I was getting into...

The whole purpose of Game Mode on HDTVs is to minimize input lag, but some still don't do it well. An LCD, LED or Plasma in any price range can all have input lag of up to 150ms and it works exactly like a ping in an online game. If your TV has 80ms input lag (pretty average) you will notice a delay in your actions when playing something like a first-person shooter. Add that 80ms to your ping online and you could be looking at a pretty significant handicap. Even people who aren't "hardcore" gamers will notice it if they've recently played on something with no input lag (like an old tube TV or a decent computer rig). RPGs don't require split-second reactions so you don't need to worry about input lag if that's all you play. Also, Guitar Hero and Rockband require quick reactions but both have an option allowing you to calibrate them for any lag you might have. No first-person shooter has such an option because it can't predict what you're going to do next and events are dependent upon your actions -- music games tell you exactly what to do next, and the upcoming notes aren't affected by hitting / missing the ones before them.

I'd say a good TV for gaming will have ~15ms input lag when set to its "Game Mode." It's possible to get 0ms input lag if you connect your Xbox 360 with a VGA cable rather than a standard HD cable, which tricks the TV into thinking you have a computer attached. Sometimes you have to manually name the VGA input to "PC" via the menu in order to get this effect, another thing that varies by brand. Why this works the way it does is beyond me, but it's actually true... *head explodes*

Picture quality suffers in "Game Mode" no matter how good or expensive the TV is, because all that mode really does is cut out the nifty features that make everything look crisp and shiny (Something like Cinema Mode would have them all enabled since timing is irrelevant for movies). Those refinements take time for the TV to apply, thus the delay between when you put something in and when you actually see it displayed. Auto Motion Plus? Input lag. Dynamic Tehcnotronic Fluidity? Input lag. Super Mega Color Enhancer? Input lag. 256 bit Gigamorphic Sharpalizer? Input lag. Obviously I'm pulling names out of my ass, but every brand has a different term for "shit that makes it look better" and they all add to the total processing time before each frame is displayed, AKA input lag. You also lose manual control of most settings when you activate Game Mode, the only option left for you to adjust is usually something like brightness.

Cliffs:
http://www.amazon.com/Paradox-Choice...0136864&sr=8-1

suggesting he post this thread at avsforum is kinda dumb
either they'll ignore him or flame him for asking such a basic and easy-to-search-for question

Ralph

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilse View Post
suggesting he post this thread at avsforum is kinda dumb
either they'll ignore him or flame him for asking such a basic and easy-to-search-for question
I did try to answer his questions, and I gave what little info I've gathered about the one characteristic I think is important when buying a TV for gaming. Trying to recommend a TV isn't so simple anymore; there are a thousand different features to consider and each person values each individual feature differently than the next person.

For what it's worth, I personally found Samsung to be the best bang for the buck. I got the LN46A630 and have been extremely happy with it, but I have no idea what the equivalent to that model is today. Matte vs. Glossy screen is another thing to consider, and I went with matte because reflections bug the hell out of me.

Still, you never know when a particular brand might change some aspect of their manufacturing and start putting out shitty TVs... which apparently has happened with certain Samsung models in the recent past.

g|aSsJaw

I appreciate all the info so far. It's hard decision and I know very little in this area.