General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Automotive [M]ayhem
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

DoubleJ
i make wiggles happy on the inside and horny on the outside

Power steering gear leaking, need help

It appears as though my power steering gear, not the pump, is leaking. There is power steering fluid coming from where the pitman arm connects to the gear. Can this be repaird or does something need to be replaced? If replaced, do I replace the gear, the pitman arm, both, something else? Help please

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

ScHpAnKy
The only place you can get milk in a bag.

a new rack is $250 or less, alternatively you can run completely without it if your car doesn't weigh close to 4,000lbs... I do that now without an issue.

I can't make heads or tails of your photo, though - otherwise this post may have been more helpful

DoubleJ

1992 f150. Power steering is a big help. I think it's just the steering gear lower seal that has failed. Need to pull the pitman arm to access it though. I've read that this is hard. Any input?

u467

steering gear box is what you need to replace. I wouldn't replace the pitman arm unless you feel excess free play or have trouble maintaining dead on center.

google a steering gear/cv rebuilder near your area. I get my racks rebuilt for roughly $100.

Daishi
daishi daishi bo baishi banana fana fo faishi

Why do you people keep saying rack? It's not a rack and pinion setup.

Anyways, the seal has simply started leaking. You can buy a kit to rebuild it for maybe $50. Probably a lot cheaper than buying another gear, but you'd need some seal pullers and circlip pliers to rebuild it, iirc.

Also, getting the pitman arm off is usually a bitch; better have a puller for it.

u467

perhaps i should elaborate. i get the steering racks rebuilt for my hondas for roughly $100. I don't see why the steering gearbox should cost much more, and if anything should be cheaper.

miasman1
I'm a pathetic virgin.

Rebuild kits for boxes are cheap. Having the skills/courage/balls to tear one down and replace each seal/o-ring/gasket/washer is another.

RockAuto lists the seal kit for $40, and the rebuild kit for $60. $20 more gets you a new needle bearing and spacer.

grjr

I just finished "rebuilding" my power steering pump in my integra because it was leaking as well. After a bunch of new o-rings, a seal, a sealed bearing, and new rubber return lines it seems to be leak free. If you are mechanically inclined and have access to tools I don't see it being too difficult, just time consuming. You could always just pull it and have someone else rebuild it as well if you prefer.

Last edited by grjr; 05-14-2010 at 09:08 PM..

rich4rdee

try getting some lucas power steering leak stop fluid...it's about $8 a bottle and worked great on my leaky e30 steering rack.

DoubleJ

There is some stop leak in it already. Put in about 3 months ago. Probably washed out by now though.

Daishi
daishi daishi bo baishi banana fana fo faishi

If you want to make it easy, just get a new (or more likely, remanned) gear from autozone or something. While you're there, rent a tool to pull the pitman arm. It's free, but you have to 'buy' the tool, and they refund it in full when you return it.

If you loosen up the bolts on the steering gear-to-frame, and the bolt on the input u-joint, you should be able to get enough play that you can get the pitman arm off without fucking with the rest of the steering/suspension components.

Make abso-fucking-lutely you center your steering wheel and get it locked/held in place, and to mark the position of the pitman arm in relation to the sector/center shaft. If you don't, your steering will be off. It may be anyways if the new gear wasn't centered before getting boxed.

It shouldn't be more than an hour or two job, but you may run into rust or corrosion related issues.

DoubleJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daishi View Post
If you want to make it easy, just get a new (or more likely, remanned) gear from autozone or something. While you're there, rent a tool to pull the pitman arm. It's free, but you have to 'buy' the tool, and they refund it in full when you return it.

If you loosen up the bolts on the steering gear-to-frame, and the bolt on the input u-joint, you should be able to get enough play that you can get the pitman arm off without fucking with the rest of the steering/suspension components.

Make abso-fucking-lutely you center your steering wheel and get it locked/held in place, and to mark the position of the pitman arm in relation to the sector/center shaft. If you don't, your steering will be off. It may be anyways if the new gear wasn't centered before getting boxed.

It shouldn't be more than an hour or two job, but you may run into rust or corrosion related issues.

$275 - 95 core = $180. Looking for a cheap fix for now. I will probably be replacing the entire box since doing just the seal seems like more work.

d114

The cheap fix is to disconnect the pump and overinflate the front tires.

The right way would be to get a rebuilt box.

The hard way to do it is to rebuild it. It's prbably a recirculating ball design.

The 'im too busy' way is to dump another can of stop leak in there and see how long it holds.

grjr

autozone parts aren't the greatest of quality

solareon

what about getting a junkyard pull?
1987 RX-7 TII - sold =(