General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Everyday Life.
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

elchorizo

A Man Cooks a Steak

I finally got tired of my piece of shit gas grill and threw it out. Every gas grill I get develops hot spots and that really pisses me off. In addition, I couldn't ever get it hot enough to do steak the right way. So I got a new Weber Grill. I haven't used charcoal in a quite a few years but I realize how much I missed it.

Anyway, on to the goods:

Step 1: Ingredients, not many! You want the steak to come to room temp before grilling it.

larger

Step 2: Coat the potato in olive oil and put lots of kosher salt on it. This is Alton Brown's recipe.

larger

Step 3: Bake the potato for about an hour at 350 degrees. The outside should be kind of crispy and the inside should feel soft.

larger

Step 4: Prepare the grill. It should be very hot for putting a nice crust on the steak before the inside even warms up

larger

Step 5: While the grill is heating up put a thin layer of oil on the steak (just enough to moisten it). Add some kosher salt and fresh pepper. Don't go light on the salt, especially if the steak is thick. You don't want to do this too soon because the salt pulls out the liquids from the steak. So, probably only 10 minutes or less before the steak will go on the grill.
Cook the steak for 3-4 minutes per side (depending on thickness). It should be nicely medium rare by that time if it was room temperature.

larger

Step 6: Pull of the steak and let it rest! This is very important. DO NOT cut into it until it has rested. Dribble some high quality olive oil on the steak while its resting. You can also use butter if you prefer.

larger

Step 7: Grub it.

larger

www.flickr.com/photos/marshallalsup
Nikon D800, Nikkor 105 VR, Sigma 85 f/1.4, Rokinon 14 f/2.8
Nikkor 70-300 VR, Tamron 28-75 f/2.8, Nikkor 16-35 f/4

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

2[H]4U

that meal looks epic

Polyhedric Mu

i usually stab my potatoes with a fork a few times so they don't burst then bake them for 1.5 hours. you know they're getting good when bubbles start to come out of the holes. looks good though

malamute face
Long time. Me lobe yoy long time.

WAHT. I thought you can't (won't) have carbs!

Lovely pictures, elchorizooooooooooooo!
Growler & I hate olives <3
Pyramid is my speakerhumper BFF

Total: 24

elchorizo

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute face View Post
WAHT. I thought you can't (won't) have carbs!

Lovely pictures, elchorizooooooooooooo!

I killed the diet this weekend, it was ugly. But, I did it for [M] lol
Monday comes oh so soon :-P

I also poke the potato with a fork. I forgot to mention that.

www.flickr.com/photos/marshallalsup
Nikon D800, Nikkor 105 VR, Sigma 85 f/1.4, Rokinon 14 f/2.8
Nikkor 70-300 VR, Tamron 28-75 f/2.8, Nikkor 16-35 f/4

malamute face

Make those soy butter roasted potatoes next time you fall off the wagon.

cokezeroholic

Perfect, except there is no bone.

Malne

Salting your steak is the way to go, the longer the better. I've been doing around 30 minutes lately in the interest of time but never less than 15 minutes. Mine tend to resemble salt licks, if you can see red there's not enough salt on there. Yes, salt will pull moisture out of the steak, but once it equalizes the gradient it will actually start pulling salt (and pepper and garlic and whatever else is on there) into the meat, denaturing the proteins and leaving it flavorful, juicy and delicious. Scrape off most of it, leave enough to keep it seasoned, throw it on the grill and enjoy.

Forever Domon

i have to ask, wtf is this thing. It confuses me

RazorWind

Quote:
Originally Posted by domonbaylespam View Post

It's a chimney starter. It helps get the charcoal going faster, and if you do it right, you can avoid using lighter fluid entirely.

I've never gotten mine to work without lighter fluid, but according some of the books on barbecue I've read, it's supposedly possible.

Butthole Eliminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazorWind View Post
It's a chimney starter. It helps get the charcoal going faster, and if you do it right, you can avoid using lighter fluid entirely.

I've never gotten mine to work without lighter fluid, but according some of the books on barbecue I've read, it's supposedly possible.

i'm guessing you already tried newspaper on the bottom? Perhaps step it up to cardboard for a more significant fuel load

ceejamon
Ignore this post

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazorWind View Post

Newspaper has always worked for me. I use a good bit of it, though.

malamute face

Quote:
Originally Posted by domonbaylespam View Post

n00b

eramus
rm -rf /etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malne View Post
Salting your steak is the way to go, the longer the better. I've been doing around 30 minutes lately in the interest of time but never less than 15 minutes. Mine tend to resemble salt licks, if you can see red there's not enough salt on there. Yes, salt will pull moisture out of the steak, but once it equalizes the gradient it will actually start pulling salt (and pepper and garlic and whatever else is on there) into the meat, denaturing the proteins and leaving it flavorful, juicy and delicious. Scrape off most of it, leave enough to keep it seasoned, throw it on the grill and enjoy.
yes, yes, a million times yes!! ive been doing the same ever since i saw that idea here (possibly from you). the first time my gf saw me doing this she freaked out "wth are you doing!?! thats way too much salt!!!". then she ate it and began drooling. the only difference is that i wash off all of the salt and dry the meat, add pepper and rosemary

_cashel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butthole Eliminator View Post
i'm guessing you already tried newspaper on the bottom? Perhaps step it up to cardboard for a more significant fuel load

This, I've done it before without needing lighter fluid. Just use a good bit of newspaper wadded up in the bottom.