General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Everyday Life.
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Jmag034

Keeping a fridge outside?

I just moved into a new place with 3 other roomates and we've found our main fridge just isnt big enough to store all of our food + drinks. So we've got a smaller fridge(imagine dorm room size, maybe like 3 1/2 feet tall) and were planning on keeping it on our covered patio next to our pool. I want to put beer, soda, water etc in it so theres easy access while swimming.

The room is covered and has screens on all the sides but it is still technically outside. I would say during the summer it still is about 100 degrees. If i put the fridge in this room, is it going to hog electricity to keep itself cool? I figured it might be a little bit more but for the most part I thought the insulation would keep the cold air in.

Anyone have any experience keeping a fridge/freezer outside in this hot temperature?

thanks

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

gee
MY TITLE ISNT LONG ENOUGH

Putting a fridge outdoors in a warm climate will make it pull more power - but if you're paying for A/C to keep your house cool, the A/C won't have to pull the heat generated by the fridge outdoors so you'll actually end up paying less.

I'd be more concerned if the fridge can keep up with 100F ambient temperature while keeping everything in it reasonably cool without running all the time. You might want to grab a fridge thermometer from a restaurant supply store just to make sure.

CommiePunk
my rectum bleeds everyday

some of those mini fridges are horrible on electricity, just a heads up. i think it may just be the older ones.

gee

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommiePunk View Post
some of those mini fridges are horrible on electricity, just a heads up. i think it may just be the older ones.
That's probably because 99% of mini-fridges are chinese specials with tiny condensers and next to no insulation.

If you haven't bought the fridge yet and you're going to be keeping it for a while, I'd hit up a few furniture/appliance stores and look for something Kenmore/LG/GE/etc. I think they publish energy ratings for the things also.

sirocyl44us

The biggest issue will be you and your buddies opening and closing it all the time to get stuff. Small fridges like that can be flooded with hot air very quickly. It will be fine if you keep it closed. I have had freezers/fridges in a hot garage for years and they are fine. The bigger issue is the cold. Once the temp gets below 40 degrees, the compressor shuts off in many refrigerators, ruining the food in the freezer compartment. If it stays cold the food in the refrigerator compartment can freeze.

SKYY

Humidity will ice that thing over fast.

gee

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirocyl44us View Post
The biggest issue will be you and your buddies opening and closing it all the time to get stuff. Small fridges like that can be flooded with hot air very quickly. It will be fine if you keep it closed. I have had freezers/fridges in a hot garage for years and they are fine. The bigger issue is the cold. Once the temp gets below 40 degrees, the compressor shuts off in many refrigerators, ruining the food in the freezer compartment. If it stays cold the food in the refrigerator compartment can freeze.
Good call. I'll again suggest getting a good name-brand fridge because they'll have larger compressors and have enough cooling power to keep the fridge cold despite being open/closed a lot. Alternatively a commercial bar fridge, which is designed to be open/closed frequently and also have lots of warm beer tossed into it, will definitely get the job done.

Sounds like this is just a beverage fridge, not a fridge/freezer, so they should be fine if they keep frozen food out of it.

Thermo1223

We did this both ways in our old apt.

The chest freezer survived just fine outside all summer not a large amount of ice build-up and never, ever did it sit above freezing.

The small fridge also had zero issues. I forget the brand but I know it draws about 1 amp when running. The best thing is to keep it full all the time. That way it won't work as hard cooling air for nothing, cold things inside the fridge act like a battery to help even out the shock of opening it.

Don't expect stuff to get cold right away though, I always went with the 24 hours minimum rule if I wanted it cold.

Winter usually doesn't have an effect on them as long as they are left on, people make the mistake thinking the outside cold will keep everything inside cold. It doesn't work like that, the things will either freeze or not be cold at all. It work fine for us but substandard appliances may not work out as well. I would try and find a good name brand like suggested.
Range - GTFO god :rolleyes: