General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Automotive [M]ayhem
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

lutzms

Jeep Liberty Shift Assembly Problem

Well, I finally got my first Jeep tonight (2006 Liberty Sport...no mods). The Jeep drives fine, but I discovered that the shift lever button that needs to be depressed to go into (and lock) gear doesn't work. Instead, I can just freely move the lever at any time (so even when the car is in Park and turned off with no key in, I can move the lever where ever I want). Has anyone heard of before? I don't know if it is possibly something to do with the shift assembly button, or is there a linkage that might be bad (or possibly solenoid). Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

asa
I wear ladies underwear, and I smell like cheese.

does it actually go into gear when you do this?

Asa of the Infidel Crew

jarhed13
I own faces - <3 Toad

Is there a shift lock button/toggle somewhere on the console? Maybe it's stuck in the pressed in (unlocked) position?

Also, like asa said, when off, is it actually changing gears or will it stay in park?

lutzms

When driving, simply moving the lever will change gears (such as putting it in 2nd or neutral). Does the same when the car is turned of and the key isn't in the ignition.

asa

just to clarify, for the majority of vehicles, you can move freely from low to 2nd to 3rd to drive to neutral
reverse and park take the button and the brakes

is that the situation, or is it moving whenever?

it sounds like you do have a broken button or linkage underneath the shifter

Asa of the Infidel Crew

lutzms

There is the shift lock button, but it presses in and releases. Perhaps the mechanism it moves could be stuck?

lutzms

Yes, it will move freely whenever. Has any dealt with a broken linkage? Im wondering if this is going to be costly and a pain to deal with.

asa

you likely just have to remove the console and replace a small part
now, how mechanically inclined you are and other factors will make this harder or easier

or, if it's working fine and staying in gear, you can leave it alone

Asa of the Infidel Crew

SmashingPumpkins

you bought the wrong car

1997 Dodge Caravan (gold on gold, base model.. free is a good price)
1989 Kawasaki ZX-10B
2002 Smokercraft Osprey 17' DLX - 75hp 4 stroke Mercury (not for sale)

d114

What happens when you put it in park when you're on the freeway? Report your findings.

Seriously, just remove the console housing and look for parts between the carpet and the floorpan. It's not unheard of that the spring that holds the locking mechanism in place could fall out.

lutzms

Well, I found the problem, but now I'm looking for advice on how to correct it. The trigger on the shift column moves a plastic piece that is tied into the linkage that goes back around the steering column. The linkage has come off from that little piece that moves (although it doesn't look damaged to me). On the end of the linkage there is a small barrel fitting (don't know the exact name of it) that fits into the plastic piece to keep the two tied together. My problem is that I can't move the cable forward enough to meet up with what it latches onto (the latch is moved all the way forward). If I could remove the entire center console that might help, but I'm in the process of figuring that out so I don't damage anything. Has anyone had any luck with this, and does the fact that it has slipped out indicate that there was some wear to the cable or the plastic piece. Since it's a used car, I don't know the history of why it could potentially be disconnected (the previous owner had the center off to hook up his satellite radio...for all I know he could have accidentally disconnected it then). Thanks again.

lutzms

Well, it seems one problem always leads to another. I reattached the linkage, and put the car into gear. Now the car can't get into park. Moving the shifter takes it to all other gears on the column, but it can't reach park. Does it sound like a shot assembly, or could that be a problem with the linkage between the transmission and the shifter? Once I get this center console off, I'll see if I can remove the shift linkage. I can't for the life of me get the 4x4 lever portion of the console off.

Briandl79

You're talking about a park lock cable, which is designed to keep you from starting the car while it's in gear. You have to make sure you connect everything in the correct order. So for example the car needs to be in park without the key in the ignition, then you connect the cable. The cable is adjustable and has a lock that slides out of the assembly, once it's adjusted you push the lock back down.

mohavewolfpup
I masturbated a guy to death with my own hands

Just Empty Every Pocket