General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > CompuGlobalHyperMegaNet
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Arrowhead777

How to hardcode subtitles into H264 video?

My friend and I translated this MP4 video and we need to hardcode our .ass subtitle file into the video. If it's an Xvid AVI file, then it's a piece of cake to encode our subtitles into the video using VirtualDub. But VirtualDub wont open this MP4 file even after trying various plugins and such.

Anyone know how to get VirtualDub to read it or know of any other free programs to hard code our subtitles? Or what's the best free program to use to convert H264 to Xvid? I would prefer to keep using H264 since seems to keep the file size reasonable while keeping the quality looking sexy, unlike Xvid.

Stats on the video:

Video: MPEG4 Video (H264) 1280x720 29.97fps [GPAC ISO Video Handler]
Audio: AAC 48000Hz stereo 208kbps [Sound Media Handler]

Thanks in advance.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

SnarkFish
This post probably contains a URL

chronage

Handbrake works great for this. I converted a bunch of MKVs with external subs to avi w/ hardcoded subs.

Arrowhead777

Handbrake doesn't work with .ass (lol) subtitle files (we also translated captions and srt can't do that fancy stuff) so I'll just use it to convert it to avi. But it seems latest version of Handbreak doesn't output to avi anymore? What a pain in the ass. Have to download an older version then. :/

chronage

Yeah for some reason they deemed the AVI container obsolete so you have to use the older version.

SnarkFish
This post probably contains a URL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrowhead777 View Post
Handbrake doesn't work with .ass (lol) subtitle files (we also translated captions and srt can't do that fancy stuff) so I'll just use it to convert it to avi. But it seems latest version of Handbreak doesn't output to avi anymore? What a pain in the ass. Have to download an older version then. :/

eww

well, after some digging it sounds like you need to use avisynth (or something based on it - e.g. megui, xvid4psp) + textsub

avidemux may work also

good luck

Arrowhead777

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnarkFish View Post
eww

well, after some digging it sounds like you need to use avisynth (or something based on it - e.g. megui, xvid4psp) + textsub

avidemux may work also

good luck

Dude, I love you. xvid4psp worked perfectly in letting me keep the video like it is and just permanently hardcode the subtitles without any BS to deal with. You have no idea how many programs, plugins, and tweaks I tried out today, including megui and avidemux, which just didn't let me add the subs to the video without problems

We don't do softsubs for our fansubbing because people remove/change the credits and claim them as their own and do another stupid things with it.

Thanks again.