General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Colicious
I'm 18 and my mom grounded me for going 10 over the speed limit!! <3 siriusnova
 
Colicious's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SemperFly View Post
gas prices were at a peak high in 2008 , they only plummeted to 1.78 at the end of that year because the economy was in such a shitty position. the fact that prices have gone up over the past three years is an indicator that the economy is doing better

no, thats not really a quality correlation
__________________
3e8e19ca5f2e1c52bbc2223c33a41dda [y yuo throw haet :( :(] porn may <3's yuo.
Old 03-06-2012, 04:05 PM Colicious is offline  
#146581  

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

asa
I wear ladies underwear, and I smell like cheese.
 
asa's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TUT RAGE!!! View Post
I didn't but my cousins told me they paid like 150 or 175.

riiiiiight
__________________
1967 Ford Mustang, Inline Six, will i ever get this T5 installed?
my build
http://www.genmay.com/showthread.php?t=786083

Asa of the Infidel Crew
Old 03-06-2012, 04:07 PM asa is offline  
#146582  

asa
I wear ladies underwear, and I smell like cheese.
 
asa's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colicious View Post
no, thats not really a quality correlation

huh? why the hell not?
__________________
1967 Ford Mustang, Inline Six, will i ever get this T5 installed?
my build
http://www.genmay.com/showthread.php?t=786083

Asa of the Infidel Crew
Old 03-06-2012, 04:10 PM asa is offline  
#146583  

Nevermore
I <3 d4rkme4t
 
Nevermore's Avatar
 
OH MY FUCK
__________________
_--_|\
/ #AUZLAND
\_.--._/
.......v
<domisi> i'm not in anyone's sig
\(_o)/ IRC Partay!! \(o_)/
Old 03-06-2012, 04:11 PM Nevermore is offline  
#146584  

-=Antimatter=-
 
-=Antimatter=-'s Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TUT RAGE!!! View Post
I didn't but my cousins told me they paid like 150 or 175.

$165?
__________________
wat
Old 03-06-2012, 04:11 PM -=Antimatter=- is offline  
#146585  

SemperFly
 
SemperFly's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colicious View Post
no, thats not really a quality correlation

actually yeah it is. oil is a speculative commodity. it's price is set by people trying to figure out how much it's going to be worth later, not how much it's worth right now. given the current political environment around the globe, the supply from the mid east, demand from china, prospects in shale, price of gas is exactly where it's supposed to be. the only reason it dipped so hard is because of the economic crisis
Old 03-06-2012, 04:13 PM SemperFly is offline  
#146586  

Nevermore
I <3 d4rkme4t
 
Nevermore's Avatar
 
BORKED
__________________
_--_|\
/ #AUZLAND
\_.--._/
.......v
<domisi> i'm not in anyone's sig
\(_o)/ IRC Partay!! \(o_)/
Old 03-06-2012, 04:16 PM Nevermore is offline  
#146587  

Colicious
I'm 18 and my mom grounded me for going 10 over the speed limit!! <3 siriusnova
 
Colicious's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by asa View Post
huh? why the hell not?

well just off the top of my head:

-these are pretty much record gas prices, and our economy is not doing that great. the dow dropped 200 points today, the biggest drop in 3 months. the yield curve also flattened, with a lot of people buying up long-term treasuries (good news is that people arnt expecting super high-inflation as soon as they originally thought)

-greece is in the shitter, and china just reduced their growth outlook

-last friday there were rumors/talks about a third quantitative easing.

-gas prices can fuck up the economy. think about everything that uses oil product to operate directly (shipping companies, airlines, chemical companies, plastic manufactures, the list goes on). now think about the companies that depend on oil being cheap indirectly (hotels, tourist destinations, etc). the only industry that benefits when gas is high is oil companies (while there is still demand)

-gas prices reflect more on the supply and speculation side of things rather than demand (opec can fuck with the prices a lot easier than people driving more efficiently).

-gas is on a worldwide market. with china and india growing rapidly, they require more and more oil (driving prices up). just because gas goes up due to worldwide demand, doesnt mean everything is groovy domestically
__________________
3e8e19ca5f2e1c52bbc2223c33a41dda [y yuo throw haet :( :(] porn may <3's yuo.
Old 03-06-2012, 04:20 PM Colicious is offline  
#146588  

Kahnza
Screw you guys, I'm going home!
 
Kahnza's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevermore View Post
BORKED

OMG I just had a Braineurysm
Old 03-06-2012, 04:21 PM Kahnza is offline  
#146589  

Colicious
I'm 18 and my mom grounded me for going 10 over the speed limit!! <3 siriusnova
 
Colicious's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SemperFly View Post
actually yeah it is. oil is a speculative commodity. it's price is set by people trying to figure out how much it's going to be worth later, not how much it's worth right now. given the current political environment around the globe, the supply from the mid east, demand from china, prospects in shale, price of gas is exactly where it's supposed to be. the only reason it dipped so hard is because of the economic crisis

all but 1 (the 1 is demand from china) of those things are correct in regards on the price, but not a sign of good economic growth.
__________________
3e8e19ca5f2e1c52bbc2223c33a41dda [y yuo throw haet :( :(] porn may <3's yuo.
Old 03-06-2012, 04:23 PM Colicious is offline  
#146590  

Baloneyflaps.
Baloneyflaps
My dick: more mass than the earth
 
Baloneyflaps.'s Avatar
 
six flags


its time again
__________________
This signature is metal as fuck. Is yours?
Old 03-06-2012, 04:23 PM Baloneyflaps. is offline  
#146591  

Kahnza
Screw you guys, I'm going home!
 
Kahnza's Avatar
 
it was nice having the windows open for most of the afternoon
Old 03-06-2012, 04:24 PM Kahnza is offline  
#146592  

SemperFly
 
SemperFly's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colicious View Post
well just off the top of my head:

-these are pretty much record gas prices,

no. gas prices were much higher in mid 2008

Quote:

and our economy is not doing that great. the dow dropped 200 points today, the biggest drop in 3 months.
the biggest drop in three months yet still much higher than it was before
Quote:
-greece is in the shitter, and china just reduced their growth outlook
we're not talking about greece they're in the shitter for a number of reasons. as for china, reducing their growth outlook by a smidgen doesn't change the fact that their growth outlook is still astronomical.

either way, we're talking about our economy, not the economy of two countries you picked to half assedly support your point
Quote:

-last friday there were rumors/talks about a third quantitative easing.

-gas prices can fuck up the economy. think about everything that uses oil product to operate directly (shipping companies, airlines, chemical companies, plastic manufactures, the list goes on). now think about the companies that depend on oil being cheap indirectly (hotels, tourist destinations, etc). the only industry that benefits when gas is high is oil companies (while there is still demand)
jesus fuck. gas prices can fuck up the economy but the point remains is that they're now back up to what they're supposed to be given the current climate. the 1.78 number from jan 09 was artificial and caused by the recession.

I didn't say high gas prices make the economy better, I said high gas prices are a sign that the economy has improved.
Quote:

-gas prices reflect more on the supply and speculation side of things rather than demand (opec can fuck with the prices a lot easier than people driving more efficiently).
demand is as much a factor as supply. opec can certainly fuck with the prices because they can bear the brunt. that's why people clamoring about keystone are fucking retards
Quote:

-gas is on a worldwide market. with china and india growing rapidly, they require more and more oil (driving prices up). just because gas goes up due to worldwide demand, doesnt mean everything is groovy domestically
I didn't say everything was groovy, I said it's an indicator that it's improving.
Old 03-06-2012, 04:36 PM SemperFly is offline  
#146593  

SemperFly
 
SemperFly's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colicious View Post
all but 1 (the 1 is demand from china) of those things are correct in regards on the price, but not a sign of good economic growth.

incorrect, china's consumption is a significant factor. gas prices going up is a byproduct - and an indicator - of the economy improving. there are other factors behind it but if our economy was in the same position that it was in fall of 2008 or worse, we wouldn't be seeing the high prices we're seeing now.

there are plenty of other signs that our economy is doing much better, though. it just adds to the list


my favorite one, though, is that republicans are bitching about birth control since they can no longer use the economy in their campaigns. "jobs jobs jobs...oh wait, let's complain about vaginas first"
Old 03-06-2012, 04:38 PM SemperFly is offline  
#146594  

Colicious
I'm 18 and my mom grounded me for going 10 over the speed limit!! <3 siriusnova
 
Colicious's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SemperFly View Post
no. gas prices were much higher in mid 2008

correct. average was $4.114 from what i see here in 2008, but that was in july. average now is $3.764. buts its only march, id be curious to see how close it gets to the record

the biggest drop in three months yet still much higher than it was before

true, but big drops like that still means its pretty volatile

we're not talking about greece they're in the shitter for a number of reasons. as for china, reducing their growth outlook by a smidgen doesn't change the fact that their growth outlook is still astronomical.

like it or not, greece has a huge impact on the world economy and ours. and china reduced their growth outlook almost 2 percent from last year, down to 7.5%, the lowest in 8 years. hardly a smidgen

either way, we're talking about our economy, not the economy of two countries you picked to half assedly support your point

we are talking about our economy. but to ignore the world economy is naive. you're not at all concerned at the slowing of the worlds second largest economy? and if greece falls, so goes portugal and spain. greece collapsing could end the european [monetary] union.

jesus fuck. gas prices can fuck up the economy but the point remains is that they're now back up to what they're supposed to be given the current climate. the 1.78 number from jan 09 was artificial and caused by the recession.

I didn't say high gas prices make the economy better, I said high gas prices are a sign that the economy has improved.

i know what you said. and all i said its not really a good correlation. there are way better indicators to use. price of a worldwide commodity is not one of them.

demand is as much a factor as supply. opec can certainly fuck with the prices because they can bear the brunt. that's why people clamoring about keystone are fucking retards

I didn't say everything was groovy, I said it's an indicator that it's improving.

its not a very good indicator

.
__________________
3e8e19ca5f2e1c52bbc2223c33a41dda [y yuo throw haet :( :(] porn may <3's yuo.
Old 03-06-2012, 04:57 PM Colicious is offline  
#146595  

Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:16 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.